1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mama dear has stashed fawn in my front yard

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Jun 23, 2007.

1. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I have a fawn hiding out in the grove of trees in front of my country home. Its like being trapped in the Animal Planet TV channel.

We're tiptoeing around the house so as not to spook it or its mother.

Im not some sort of over-the-top animal lover, but this thing is too cute to be real.

How long is it going to be here? I'd like to return to sitting on the patio and barbequeing other cute animals.

2. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    That's nature's veal, right there...

:D

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You know, Momma Deer will be away foraging much of the time. Junior is right there and still really tender. And you already have a barbecque grill.

I'm just saying.

4. Deer are great, unless they start eating your plants. Then it's venison time.

*I live in the Hudson Valley too :smug:

5. I think it's sweet that you are changing your behaviour to help make a baby animal feel more secure. I've done it a few times with certain animals living where we do.

Just curious though, whats' baby deer taste like BBQ'ed? Is it good? :smug:

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    :D:D Where I live dear are a huge problem. They are spreading lime disease due to over population, but of course hunting is not allowed.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Now come on. Is it REALLY hunting if it's right there in your yard?

Just bonk him on the head, carry him to the garage and dress him out. There's bound to be a lot of good sandwiches in a fawn.

Mom will come back find him missing and stay away forever.

Unless she finds a buck to jump through your window and attack you for revenge. Or is it justice?

8. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    the votes are definitely towards grilling the adorable, baby deer.

can something this cute be tasty too? not a lot of meat there. probably only enough for a skewer or two. I guess Bambi gets a repreive. for now:ninja:

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    you can have a lend of my paintball gun if you like?

10. Panda mixed with bald eagle

11. I can't believe you people. Here is this cute, furry gift of Mother Nature, and all you can do is talk about killing it and eating it. Are you barbarians? Imagine how the poor mother deer would feel if it went to forage for food only to come back and find her new baby missing? She would be frantic. You people should be ashamed of yourselves!!!

Nah, just kidding. Save me a sandwich. If the mother comes back, I'll have a steak.

12. Yeah that helps me, NOT! :p

The most exotic thing I've eaten is an Ostrich steak. I was surprised it came in steak form!

And we did buy lots of take out Chinese for years from a shop that got busted with dog meat on premises. I can only presume I've survived eating dog and probably complimented the chef on it more than once.

As for hunting, whats the difference between setting up a bolt action from your window or going 100 miles into the forest, setting up a spot, and sniping from there? :bag:

13. On that subject, I had a similar experience with a Chinese Resturant in Sydney. Used to eat there minimum once a week. Great food, best I've eaten. Raved about it. Recommended it to everyone.
    Was busted with cat skins and carcasses in the dumpster out the back. Apparently it really does taste like chicken. hahahaha

14. Still on the off-topic I love that scene in Bloodsport when the guys offer the Hong Kong cop to join them for lunch, and he replies "No thanks, I never eat here". :D

And do people really spell deer "dear" in the US, or is that a mispelling I'm missing.

15. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    You forgot tender and juicy. There may only be a skewer or two, but what delicious skewers they'd be...

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    No. That's just a (surprisingly) frequent mispelling.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I could see a little indignation if they wanted to kill it for "sport." Poor little thing probably doesn't even have a gun.

19. hah, you're stuck... don't go anywhere near the fawn and especially do not touch it. If the mother detects human scent she'll abandon it.

we wants pictures... Use a telephoto lens though. :)

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Bunnies are gray,
    Fawns are tan,
    They're not only cute,
    But nutritious, man!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021