1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man Card topic: Weedwhackers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 26, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Guys I just burned out my electric WW. It's one of those $50 jobs from Black and Decker. Plastic with metal shaft 4.5 amps

So my question is will a higher rated electric unit last longer than my deceased WW or should I just go ahead and get a 2 stroke WW and contribute to the destruction of the polar ice caps?

My con against a gas unit is that my wife (who gets to do the yardwork when I am away) will probably not get the oil-gas mixture right. I can probably premix her a small container of fuel when I'm deployed though.

What do you guys think?
    TIA

2. Ahhhhh HA!!! You need a 4 stroke Weed Whacker!! Check out the Troy Built ones, that's what the landscapers around here seem to swear by.

3. I use a Ryobi TrimmerPlus gas model that has interchangeable end units. I have a weedwhacker, a hedge trimmer and a snow blower attachment. All of them work well, although the snow blower unit is rather small and is limited in how deep the snow can get when used.

Here's the unit on Amazon - no longer available, but I would think sure newer models are:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Gas-Powered-TrimmerPlus-Straight-775R/dp/B000087QXA

I found an ACE Hardware page showing that Troy-Bilt may make a similar unit:
    http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ryobi-and-reg-straight-shaft-gas-trimmer-plus-790r-ast--pi-1335628.html

The only downside is that I smell like 2-cycle exhaust when I'm done with it, but not being tethered with a cord is worth it. Go with gas (isn't that the blessing they give you when you leave Taco Bell?).

4. Ahhhhh HA!!! You need a 4 stroke Weed Whacker!! Check out the Troy Built ones, that's what the landscapers around here seem to swear by. They have enough torque and power to take down small trees :eyebrow:

5. I ran into the same conundrum a few years ago. I paved both my front and back yard.

Mike

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

I didn't even know that some companies make 4 stroke WW :meh:

Sears sucks.

7. Get a gas one, you aren't doing anymore harm to the environment. How do you think they are making the electricity?

lowsound

8. I have a Craftsman weedwacker that is aces. If you're worried about the gas / oil mixture, get a 1 gallon gas can, and get the pre-measured out bottle of oil mix. When it's all gone, replenish, worries over.

Mon

9. Millions of 2 cycle weed whacker motors?? :confused:

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I eventually wanna pave the backyard. It's some serious $$$ though.

I was just funning. I'll be long gone before we have to live like Mad Max :smug:

Hey, great idea! Thanks!

11. I would bet my life that Craftsman makes a heavy duty 4 cycle string trimmer. Makita makes one also. My yard guy has a Cub Kadet 4 cycle, they are pretty common.

12. I was joking. My oldest daughter is too uncoordinated for me to not have shag carpet everywhere she contacts the environment.

Mike

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    4 stroke weedwhackers? You dudes seriously need to consider finding some less hirsute girlfriends.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeha I just saw one of them Cub units @ Homedepot.com.

4 stroke line trimmer for $130. Not bad.:smug:

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I would go with a turbo charged V6 weed wacker just to be safe.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Easy Maki, we're not trimming a European girl here.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh my bad. Too much? :eyebrow:

18. Modify it so it has a small skill saw blade in it.

lowsound

19. That's called an edger :smug:

I don't have time or space for all those gas powered toys. I pay a guy $155 per month and he keeps everything looking SMOOOOTH.

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    $155 a month?

What? Do you have a union gardener?:smug: