1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man Faces Felony for Using a Drone to Film Outside a Hospital Window

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man-faces-felony-for-using-a-drone-to-film-outside-a-92057392569.html

Colin Lecher, The Verge July 17, 2014

In the domestic drone debate, critics have argued that personal drones will usher in an era of rampant DIY surveillance, with cameras in the sky everywhere you turn. Proponents of that view have more ammunition this week, as an upstate New York man was arrested and faces felony charges for allegedly using a drone to film outside a medical exam room.

David Beesmer, 49, flew a drone within 15 feet of a hospital window where patients were being examined, according to a police report. There, Beesmer’s drone — a DJI Phantom 2, according to his Facebook page— was reportedly seen by patients and staff at the hospital. On Tuesday, Beesmer excitedly posted videos of the hospital to his page, but yesterday he apologized: “I truly realize that I should have asked first but did not think it would be an issue….only to discover that it sure is…” Beesmer was released from custody and will face the charges at a later date. He said the drone was unable to see through the tinted hospital windows.

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

You don't even want to get me going on this. The title of this thread should be "Pervs and Drones."

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Sickos aee sickos with or without drones.

4. What happened to common sense? This shouldn't have started if common sense was more abundant these days.

5. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    there's another thread round here, somebody complaining about a neighbour using a drone..i suggested using a laser pointer to destroy the camera and got a scolding and a lesson on the dangers of laser pointers

6. Stewie26

Yeah....but now they have a new dream tool to use in their perv exploits.

7. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Great, now I have to keep my shades closed.

8. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    This is sick stuff.

I bet a guy could make a ton of cash selling ready to go "surveillance" drones.

9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Pump Action Shotgun Man to the rescue!

4StringAxe likes this.
  10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    A friend of mine was living on the 5th floor and in the summer he used to grab his camera and zoom in into the street. He had a quiet impressive collection of boobage footage.

This was 10 years ago. They always find a way.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  11. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    and then make counter-attack drones to make more money
    kinda reminds me of something.....

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  12. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Drones are basically purpose built for privacy invasion. Their operation should be curtailed to extremely narrow limits.

13. I know it's illegal to shoot one down with a gun (learned from the previous thread), but would it be illegal to use a Pocket Fisherman and reel it in?

nukes_da_bass likes this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Welcome to the next installment of "second round of mega profit derived from war time developments"

You seriously didn't think something as cheap to produce and as easy to use as a stable, electronically sophisticated camera platform was just going to be kicked to the curb once the wartime demand for such an item ceased to exist did you?

The fact that it's illegal to operate any drone and/or RC aircraft for commercial purposes without the proper permits notwithstanding, multi rotor flying platforms are currently the hottest segment of the radio controlled flying market, and are being used for everything from shooting the family manse from an exciting new perspective, to property surveys, to gathering news footage, to making music vids, to basically you name it, as long as it needs a stable camera platform for high angle shots and the budget does not allow for crane rental.

The truly rib tickling portion of this particular chapter in our ongoing saga will be when the FAA completes it's division of American air space and assigns every possible inch of it to a local, state, or federal law enforcement agency for their drone fleet. Strictly for our protection of course.

This process is currently matriculating through the DC offices of the FAA as they sift the more than one hundred thousand air space variance requests from all manner of both civilian and military law enforcement. In terms of scope, this will make the NSA collecting meta data from cell transmissions look like a kindergarten finger painting next to the Monalisa.

I just wonder how long it's going to take some kid like my nephew to develop an app that can "shoot down" these new toys.

Stewie26 likes this.
  15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    And here I had you pegged as an exhibitionist.

4StringAxe likes this.
  16. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Discharging a firearm is illegal in most places without justification, I see no reason drones shouldn't operate similarly.

17. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009

Only for actual peering faces.

18. Stewie26

Wow....Unrepresented and I are on the same page and agree on an issue.

19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Gee I leave mine open. I do notice alot of people walking around blind lately.

4StringAxe likes this.
  20. So, what kind of charges might I face if I captured a drone with a Pocket Fisherman and sent images to the owner with it, say every morning with my first cup of coffee?