Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man, feels good to be alive today.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pd_5string, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    [Gloat]

Bush defies history. Republicans take contol of Senate, keep House. Finally. And it would have been by more had Toricelli stayed in there and the Democrats followed the rules.

What do Democrats have to fear most now?

Results.

(watch as the Dems go with more class warfare, rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, more people in the streets, the air/water are being poisoned more, Republicans want to kill old people and take their SS from them, all that doom and gloom stuff.) It is their only hope. They will probably accuse Bush of being a racist and a homophobe while they are at it. Brace for more of the "intelligence-deficient" comments too. Desparation forthcoming...Ideas put on back burner (as usual).

Will be interesting to see what the stock market does today.

Democrats didn't even sweep the governerships as they predicted.

Mondull vs. Coleman still out, but I predict it is going to Coleman (R). ANOTHER Senate pickup, and an underdog victory at that.

"It's a Beautiful Day!"

[/Gloat]

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just another darn liberal... :D

3. Democrats don't "fear results" any more than Republicans do. Each party "fears" the other's goals because they don't believe those goals are in the best interests of the country. Works the same from Republicans to Democrats and vice versa.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Every day is a great day to be alive...

Unfortunately, for me, the critical race in PA was lost to Rendell. No surprise though. Just watch our taxes spiral upward and school scores plummet as happened in Philly under his mayorship. I'm no big Fisher fan. I thought a better candidate could have been found. I blame Bush for stealing away Tom Ridge!!!

Local voting was interesting too.

The National swing trending Republican is utterly mind-boggeling and in total defiance of strong historical trends. America should not underestimate what happened last night. There is no consensus in America. Just about as many Republicans as Democrats and either not enough or too many "others" causing just enough buffer to end up with these results.

For me, I'm going out to exercise my 2nd amendment rights before they become illegally restricted here in Pennsylvania.

5. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i'm disapointed (although i knew it would happen) here in PA, i didn't like either of the candidates, but anyone is better than rendell. i think he won partly because he was in the news and was mentionede more because he had to run against casey first. that made more people aware of him and what he "thinks". i have to go now, i need to say good-bye to all of my firearms/family heirlooms.:(

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    well said pd_5string

7. Yes, every day it's good that we're all alive.

What are your 2nd amendment rights though?

(please forgive me for not knowing them. Please)

8. There you go, Parrott; the right to bear arms. And may I personally thank you for being interested in The U.S.'s Constitution.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

For those disillusioned by current politics, I'm still planning a revival of The Roman Empire. :rolleyes:

Jewels Caesar :D

Forgive me, it's early.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Does this mean you're ready to enlist?

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am more than happy with the electoral result. I will be happier if the Republicans can show true leadership and actually do good things.

This is government we're talking about though, expect muted results, and long-term frustration.

Just go out and earn more money. It Beats a shady political promise every time.

11. No, No. While my brave troops of Legion 5, Macedonia subjugate Illyricum, I shall be directing operations back in Rome. WITH ALL THE BROADS! :D

Ah, feed me grapes, Shania!:D :D :D

Mike J.

12. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well put.

And to the original sentiment of the topic, I'll quote one of my favorite poet/ philosophers -- Gene Simmons:

"Any day spent above ground is a good day."

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Fear???

I fear one thing after the results of the election yesterday:

The fact that Bush will have the opportunity to nominate 2 or 3 Supreme Court Justices with only token opposition.

I fear for the future of personal liberties in this country.

(Before any of you conservative types label me a "liberal", be fully aware that I am a card-carrying member of the Libertarian Party - I find BOTH the Republicans and the Democrats to be disgusting pigs sucking at the corporate teat, two sides of the same coin of oligarchy.)

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry Mike, that was a question for pd. He backs Bush and the Republicans and is apparently happy with the election results even though he's said on a number on occassions that he's not a Republican.

Right:rolleyes:.

Bush and his party want war.

O'Reilly (pd's apparent hero) is too old to go fight in the proposed war... is PD ready to stand up and do his part for something he truly believes in?

Or just keep yacking on internet forums, where it's nice and safe?

Just curious.

15. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Well Gard, I am a registered Independent, but in order to get it "closer to the heart" Republicans have it more towards libertarian/independent ideals, so we need to elect electable politicians.

Conservative Judges will interpret the constitution as is, not try to legislate from the bench a la liberal judges (otherwise known as activists).

BTW, that was two things :D

17. As you may know by now, Coleman has won here! It is a good day in Minnesota!

18. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Brad, I have never served, but I don't sit back and not vote (I respect with great deepness that millions have died for our freedoms and right to vote), or not pay attention to what is going on. I respect the millitary, and would never encourage someone to go to war if myself wasn't ready to fight. Since we don't have a draft, I have chosen to pursue a different path than some. However, serving is not a measure of patriotism. Voting, and trying to be informed on the issues (whether you agree with me or not), and being a good citizen is.

I know you have some military experience, although not front line service, and that is very cool, and out of all the things you have done, this is where I respect you most. But there is no way that unless you serve, you have no opinion on whether we should be at war or not.

Fact: Iraq has fired on our planes more than 2500 times in the last 3 years. This is reason alone for regime change

Fact: Iraq continues this agression today. This is the reason that goin in there is not "preemptive" contrary to pop culture belief.

Fact: Iraq has violated 16 conditions of the UN propositions after the Gulf War. Another reason for regime change (he had his chance).

Fact: He has weapons of mass desctruction. Another reason to destroy them, and get a regime change.

Fact: MOST military agree with my (and Bush's)position.

Fact: Most in the millitary are Republicans or conservatives.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    No, to get closer to the heart of libertarian/independant ideals, WE NEED TO VOTE FOR LIBERTARIANS AND INDEPENDANTS!

This attitude that I keep seeing will continue to destroy any chance for a third party to ever have any effect for change in this country.

The concept that voting for Dems or Repubs in lieu of voting your conscience is a falsehood: This is exactly what the two parties in power want you to believe. If you fall for their propaganda, they will not lose their grip on power.

You've been duped Peter, sorry.

On the idea of conservative justices and interpretation of the Constitution - I have no disagreement with your assessment of liberal appointees. But you're off the mark with conservative appointees: These people are known for carrying and referring to the religious tract that they were brought up believing in (i.e. the bible), and believing that it has precedence over the actual law of our land: The Constitution of The United States of America.

My fear is that the First Amendment will be blatantly twisted to suit the desires of the religious right which thinks that the Republican conservatives are their lapdogs - mainly because the Republican conservatives are their lapdogs.

:(

20. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I think the election results were awful last night. More power to the corporations that want to rape the world and grab as much money and power as they can. Goodbye to our civil liberties that remain.

I weep for the misguided fools that did this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.