Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man finds self on coffee jar - gets $15 million

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 2, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, it turns out that this guy was on the Taster's Choice jar for over ten years, but didn't know it. When he found out, he wanted to settle for $8 mil, because they used his picture without telling him or asking permission. (He had auditioned for a commerical but didn't get the part.)

Taster's Choice wouldn't play ball, so he took them to court. The judge said that not only is that highly illegal, but because TC wouldn't settle, he made a point.

A point worth $15.6 million dollars. :D

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/02/01/coffee.model.ap/index.html

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm not sure what's funnier.....the story itself, or the title that you gave this thread :D

Quality reading right there.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good. tasters choice sucks.

4. Folgers all the way.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

That is fantastic.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Agreed. Corporate greed sucks. Unfortunately, we usually have to depend on lawyer-sharks to make that point for us, but the point is valid nonetheless. Screw the bastards for everything they've got, is my opinion. Teach them a lesson, that this kind of thing is unacceptable.

(That's probably wishful thinking in today's world, but it's still my opinion. I'm glad to hear the individual triumphed in this case). :)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Does anyone remember that old Saturday Night Live skit where they replaced the person's regular coffee with their coffee (parodying the old Folger's commercials)? The funniest thing was Chris Farley wearing this big, fake beard and drinking his coffee and laughing away with his date and then the guy comes up and informs him that they replaced his regular coffee with whatever and he just goes ballistic...screaming, upending the table.

Ahh....memories.

brad cook

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I dunno....I see the point of it, but for goodness sakes.....its a picture of a guy drinking coffee. Does he REALLY deserve 15.6 mill?

I realize that they're profiting from him, but that's just ridiculous in my opinion.

One more example of american's who will sue for anything.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Actually I disagree.

The $15,600,000 isn't because they used his picture. It's because they did it without his consent and when he tried to make a good-faith effort to straighten the situation out they said "Hah! Screw you! We've got money so we can do whatever we want!" And fortunately the judge said "No. It's a rule, not a guideline. So you have to give him enough that it will make you sorry."

The whole idea of punitive fines are for them to be punishment. When the idiot woman burned her crotch with too-hot McDonalds coffee, the fine was set at 'a whole weeks profit' for McDonalds. Which led to a great acheivement in the area of public relations propaganda. Everybody ridiculed the 'clearly loony' judge who would award such an immense quantity of money over a coffee burn. I think it was something like $150,000,000, but when he awarded it I don't believe he realized how much money McDonalds makes. He was just trying to come up with 'enough to make you sorry.'

This is like that. Does the guy deserve $15,600,000? Not that I can see. Does the company deserve to be spanked hard enough to make them soory? Yes. Will that spanking require paying way more than they would have had to if they had settled? It sure looks that way.

Often lawsuits are won not based on who is right or wrong, but based on who can affors the best, or most lawyers. The first girl I had a crush on was murdered by her stepfather. He tried to kill her mother and in stead killed the mothers boyfriend,and the daughter. He crippled the botfriends friend that was there too. And he injured the boyfriends friends girlfriend. He was the richest man ever charged with murder until the OJ trial. All the surviving victims identified him with no difficulty. He got off because he could afford to hire Richard "Racehorse" Haynes as his lawyer. When the got him on tape trying to pay an FBI agent to kill the judge from his divorce trial, Haynes STILL got him off.

10. Agreed. The Judge had to make a point that you can't get away with blatantly breaking the law, no matter how much money you have behind you.

Leigh

11. What a sad person.

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    a sad person worth $15 million :smug:

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Who? The guy who just got 15 million?

I imagine he's pretty happy.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    true. nestle - defenders of human rights all over the world.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would like to reiterate, for those thinking that he was sue-happy, that the man DID try and settle out of court for a more reasonable fee. It's Taster's Choice's fault for giving him the legal finger. The judge upped the ante himself when he gave TC the smackdown.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Great story - It's kind of funny that he, his family or his friends didn't notice for so long (though I understand him not drinking that stuff...)

We have been getting some great thread titles in OT this week, no?

Marshall

17. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I'm riding the fence here. Here's my thoughts:
    The guys picture was on Tasters Choice cans for 10+ years, but it didn't affect his quality of life in any way. Hell, he didn't even realize it for probably several years. Eventhough, I think he deserves something. So, I say pay off his mortgage, or give him the amount they should have paid him 10 years ago plus inflation since then, plus compensation for any damages they could have caused (if any), and pay off his lawyers fees.
    Here's where it gets interesting: TC should (again, IMO) get it stuck to 'em for doing such a naughty thing. So, I say, make 'em pay up the $15M and give ME the difference! :D
    Just kidding. But seriously, put the difference toward the national deficite, or a charity, or social security or some good cause.
    Hey, maybe it could go to those who suffer from GAS to help ease their anguish. :D

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This thread also reminds me of when Homer Simpson found his face on a Japanese detergent box (at least I think it was detergent...it's been a while).

brad cook

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

"The box says that it promises to banish dirt to the land of wind and spirits. A-ha."

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Mr Sparkle

:)