Man, I forgot just how good this man played the bass...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by _Unregistered_, Dec 22, 2004.

1. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    Dee Murray. I'm listening to 11-17-70, a record featuring Elton John, Dee Murray, and Nigel Olsson, live in a radio studio performance in front of 100-150 peeps; Piano, Bass, Drums.

Dee was just positively brilliant! This should be required listening for all bassists.

Man, he will be missed. :crying:
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree.
    "Rocket Man" pops up on the Oldies station from time to time; very tasty player.
    Someone similar, IMO, was Gary Thain. Thain & Murray were able to incorporate a R&B-ish style into their respective bands' music...& they made it work!
  3. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    I'm not hip to Thain, I'm gonna have to seek him out. The reason I posted this note about 11-17-70 is because perhaps this recording is a bit less well-known that Elton's other works.

For anyone that thinks that Elton John writes only sappy Disney crap, and sad songs for dead blondes, you NEED to hear this record. This is NOT that. This is a young, fiery performer in his 20s, playing some seriously powerful piano.

This is a power-trio recording. Piano, Bass, and Drums.

To begin with, Elton is playing nothing but R&B and power gospel licks, and Dee and Nigel have the room to strech out as a bass-drums power pairing in a manner that you can only do when backing a single other player. They take it OUT.

To make it an even more impressive live recording (one of the most powerful sounding ever, IMHO) the session was engineered by none other than PHIL RAMONE, and recorded at A&R studios in NYC for broadcast.

Even if you've heard Dee's playing elsewhere, you need to hear what kind of damage this man was capable of in a live, power-trio environment. I haven't hear this record in many years, and I still am, and will likely forever be, humbled by the genius of this particular performance.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Early Elton John=good stuff.