1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Man..I want a Ric...but, would you pay 300$ for this copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Jan 4, 2012.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I have tried many many basses and have never owned a Rickenbacker. There is a MIJ bolt on neck copy for sale locally for 300$. Plywood body..no name bass. Seller has other offers and is firm on 300$. Will this satisfy my Ric craving?
    All the parts are there, just needs to be put together. My main concern is if I buy it for 300$ and get it playing nicely, will I be able to sell it for 300$?? Or is this at the very bottom of the Ric copy food chain? If it was a set neck or had nicer binding I would jump on it.
    I can definitely live without it, the seller is not flexible on the price and I'm reluctant as I find its too much to pay...but....I really want to own a Rickenbacker of some sort.
    Cheers
    Rickenbacker 4001 Copy Projet !! vintage 70's - Montréal instruments de musique à vendre - Kijiji Montréal

2. Where are the tuners? Are parts missing? Is this a project?

Seriously, unless you think you will never in your life have $1500 in your possession, and you are the DIY/modder type who loves a challenge, I wouldn't touch this mess with a ten foot pole. There is no way to know what this thing will sound like, and it has "GAMBLE" written all over it.

If you have $300, you are 1/5 of the way there. I say, be patient, keep saving your nickels. When it comes to Rics, ain't nothing like the real thing.

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed you said all the parts are there. Still, a gamble.

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I think even in this economy you'll still be able to get your money back if it's playable and put together.

I would be concerned up long its been sitting in pieces. I think a big part of the Ric sound is the set neck. If you want the look and feel of a Ric this will probably do it, if you want the sound of a Ric I don't know.

4. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    what are the first 4 words in your title....Is the word "copy: after "I want..."

IF not you will always know it is just another $300 cheap bass. You will always know it is not the real thing. it will never have that ric signature sound.

Now, with that being said, I am seriously considering a NT ric copy. Ric5 has done some amazing ric 5 string conversions. I am having a problem with the idea of cutting up a ric, but I could go at a copy, with no problems. I am just absolutely animate that it cannot have a name on it anywhere. I want everyone to know it is a cheap copy built into something nice

5. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I think you meant "adamant" not "animate".:D

6. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    What the hell is Kijiji?

7. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I remember seeing it when I was in Canada when I was dating a Nova Scotian. It is like a craigslist for Canada.

8. Yep, that's about right. Also available pretty much world wide. "The word “kijiji” (pronounced like key-gee-gee) means “village” in Swahili." * From the Kijiji about us page. Like Canada means Villiage in one of the native tounges here.
    We don't get the nut jobs there as much as the CL crowd. (We do get a few, though. There was an ad a couple of years ago where the "seller" had a big screen T.V. for sale. The buyer showed up with $1400 cash, and was promply relieved of the cash and no T.V.)

Back on topic:
    The pix look like an old Hondo II Ric copy I had in the 80's, but mine was natural colour.

9. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
  10. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    For real, if it is a Hondo I'd snag it, mod it to taste and rock it. :cool:

(But I've already BTDT with a real Ric and got that out of my system, so I wouldn't be looking for this copy to be something it may not be.)

The nicer Rickenbacker copies do fetch decent $$$, so not much to lose. Greco, Ibanez, and Hondo Ric copies are usually spoken well of.

But to the OP, if you want a real Ric that bad, save your money and snag a nice used one for $1500 or less. I'd recommend that before dropping $1800(?) on a new one.

11. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Exactly what I have in mind. Ive owned two Hondos and the fevers coming back :rollno:

12. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    Posting via cell phone, with almost no sleep...making lots of mistakes

13. You still won't have a Ric, so put the money towards a real one.

14. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    Iono, it's one thing if you have one, and you want something to completely butcher for the sake of butchering.

But, as cliche as it is, just spend the money and get a Ric.

Seriously, you'll end up buying that, "modding it", spending a bunch more, and by the end of the day could have scooped up a decent used one for the same price.

I've seen people not think twice about dropping a grand or a grand and half on an american standard jazz, what's the big deal with people spending the same on a bass that you could run stereo, has two truss rods, and is neck thru?

Get what you want, you save money in the long run

15. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Well...1500$ for a real one is not gonna happen. I have been selling a lot of stuff I never use and I'm out of stock and money. I have a deal with the wife that I can only buy stuff using money I have from selling stuff. I have 300$ cash burning a hole in my pocket..so this might be my final purchase. Not to mention, I am pretty well set for basses and just got a 100$ foundation that is one of the nest basses I have ever played/owned..this bass would be a pure novelty and I would probably end up selling it in a month or so. Just wondering if I buy it, I could get my money back.

16. Agreed. My H2 may have looked like a Ric, but didn't sound or play like the real thing.

Oh, and those pics look like someone "butchered" the neck with just that, a dull butcher knife. :eek: :eyebrow::rollno::scowl:

17. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    Ah GAS...

...I understand its torments, but you could take that 300 bones and stick it in an envelope and write 4003 on it and just throw at least 20 bucks a week in it and eventually you could save to get it.

At 20 to even 100 bucks a week, it's not like the missus will really wonder what's happening to your own money, and it's not like bills won't be able to get paid for the small amount.

Overall, it's your money, don't come on talkbass to try to justify the purchasing of a copy instrument, because EVERYONE for the most part will tell you to 'take out a second mortgage and sell your first born' or something ridiculous for a bass that usually costs less than most US made Les Pauls and act like they are ridiculously over priced.

Do what you want with your money as long as your responsibilities are taken care of, who cares?

18. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Sounds like Porkbun gave you your answer. :ninja:

If you do get it, do a build thread. I'd love to see how it looks and plays all fixed up.

Good luck.

19. Looks like one I bought for $75, in similar condition. I couldn't tell it was unplayable junk until I got it put back together.