Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man, I'm a little bit upset...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hategear, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Of the five basses Beefcake (ex-GWAR bassist) has put up for auction on eBay, I finally scored the winning bid on one, but the reserve wasn't met and now it's been relisted! I guess I was hoping for the seller to at least contact me and ask if I was interested in meeting the reserve, before listing it again for auction. I was so excited last night, but today I feel like I've been ripped off. First I "lose" his Iceman and now this. Somebody pass me a Kleenex.

:mad: :( :(

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=925704297

I'd give anything to have this bass. Anything, that is, except $800, because I don't have $800!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd assume that $800 was his reserve.

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sorry. Yes.

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    If it dosen't sell this time around, make him an offer with you high bid from the last auction. Chrismas time is coming & people need <font color=green>$THE$GREEN$</color> ;)

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What is the !@$&(* point of a reserve anyway. Why cant' people just start bidding at the price they want for it. Reserves just seem like a waste of time to me.

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    IME, an auction with a reserve starts the bidding fever. People start bidding, reserve isn't met yet, you outbid the next guy & before you know it, you are bidding more than you wanted to & the reserve is met. ;)

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    In cases like this, I ALWAYS email the seller 1 min after close of auction and offer to meet his reserve...you shouldn't have waited for him to contact you.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    How can you offer to meet his reserve if you don't know what it is?

Chas

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Simple...I ask him what it is, and tell him I might be interested to meet it. Worked more than once, to mutual satisfaction.

I am never afraid to ask...worst that can happen is that I end up not making the deal.

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I agree, shoot the seller an email. All he can say is no. In fact if there are no bids you might be able to score the bass.

11. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I tried that. I wasn't allowed to see his e-mail address, because I didn't actually win the item (didn't meet the reserve), so I tried three times that night to send him a message through eBay and was told my message couldn't be sent, because there was a possible problem with his e-mail account (I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but that was the jist of it).

This is only the second time I have bid on something at eBay and I have to say, I am more than a little bit disappointed in how this situation is turning out.

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    You are bidding on Beefcake The Mighty's Dimeslime green Washburn bass! This monster can be seen in GWAR's latest video - "Immortal Corrupter" from the album Violence Has Arrived. It's just as BEEF left it. There is dayglow tape on the back of the neck so The Mighty One could see what he was playing on darkened battlefields throughout the Violence Has Arrived tour. There are even a few flecks of blood left here and there. This is no stage prop! It is actually a great instrument that feels and sounds incredible! It's a giant of a bass and the deluxe hard shell case it comes with is enormous!!! Both are in amazing condition considering what the've been through, the back of the bass has some worn areas where it rested against BEEF's armor and there are a few tiny nicks here and there, but who cares? It hasn't been used for several months and probably needs to be set up, but is otherwise in battleworthy condition! Can be personally autographed by BEEFCAKE himself (I know where he's buried) or can be left as is. What a swell X-Mas gift idea!!!

dude that is so cool.
    :D

13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Don't feel too bad Hategear. I once looked at an auction where the seller listed a bass on a for auction or best offer basis. I made the offer, he refused. He didn't have a reserve and ended up selling the bass for less than I offered. Takes all kinds. I have yet to successfully purchase anything over ebay

Dan

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A well used bass with someones sweat and blood left on it.

How utterly un-cool.

Yuk.

15. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    :rolleyes:

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Why would they write about the blood? Is that a GOOD thing that it has blood on it? Or am I just oblivious?

17. who is gwar anyway?

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If I couldnt even e-mail him, I certainly wouldnt buy anything from him. No matter how good his approval rating is. What if I wanted to ask a simple question about that item?

19. Why do you feel ripped off? EBay sellers are under no contract to make outside deals, in fact EBay discourages this as they then lose their selling fees. Did it ever occur to you that maybe 200 other people may be trying to email him with "deals" too? Maybe he just doesnt want to be bothered and prefers re-listing. There's no sense in getting mad at a system that has been in place for a number of years now.

I second the thought of not wanting to deal with someone who's email isnt working.

20. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    "I second the thought of not wanting to deal with someone who's email isnt working."
    I third that. W/o even an email address, you could really get screwed.