Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man I'm lazy...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've got like 30 projects I need to do

OK, I've got a Yamaha sitting around I never use, so I defretted it like 6 Months ago. I didn't do a good job... the neck has some high spots. But I did put a couple of coats of poly on it, and it dripped on the side of the neck, so that sucks. I was wondering if there is a sure fire way to get the neck as smooth/straight as possible. I mean, if I lose this bass, no big... but it would be nice to have a nicer fretless than I have.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    $116.95 for a fretboard planer? Man, the bass I have isn't worth that much anymore. Yikes.

The fretboard isn't level because I sanded too much in certain spots. It sound really good (accoustic... but that's a pickups issue), but certain spots buzz. And I looked at it, and there is a hill around the 12th fret D/G area.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's funny, I'm trying to convice my woodworking teacher (It's more a more artistic class than a practical class) to let me do some "other work" in that class during lab time. I need to route out some space for the new switches for my Peavey, build a pedal board, and fix the neck for my Yamaha... :D

The Peavey is priority though. I'll consider the spot leveler though.

Oh, and I was thinking about the thread title: I call myself lazy because this fretless deal is something I started a long long time ago, I don't consider these tools lazy, I consider my lack of them from the start kinda stupid actually. :D