1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Man I'm lazy...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've got like 30 projects I need to do

OK, I've got a Yamaha sitting around I never use, so I defretted it like 6 Months ago. I didn't do a good job... the neck has some high spots. But I did put a couple of coats of poly on it, and it dripped on the side of the neck, so that sucks. I was wondering if there is a sure fire way to get the neck as smooth/straight as possible. I mean, if I lose this bass, no big... but it would be nice to have a nicer fretless than I have.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    $116.95 for a fretboard planer? Man, the bass I have isn't worth that much anymore. Yikes.

The fretboard isn't level because I sanded too much in certain spots. It sound really good (accoustic... but that's a pickups issue), but certain spots buzz. And I looked at it, and there is a hill around the 12th fret D/G area.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's funny, I'm trying to convice my woodworking teacher (It's more a more artistic class than a practical class) to let me do some "other work" in that class during lab time. I need to route out some space for the new switches for my Peavey, build a pedal board, and fix the neck for my Yamaha... :D

The Peavey is priority though. I'll consider the spot leveler though.

Oh, and I was thinking about the thread title: I call myself lazy because this fretless deal is something I started a long long time ago, I don't consider these tools lazy, I consider my lack of them from the start kinda stupid actually. :D