1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man in the Box Cover

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LB75, May 19, 2012.

1. LB75

LB75

Aug 29, 2009
    Austell Georgia
    Here's my attempt at this song. The vocals are obviously from the original although I couldn't find the backing vocals isolated so they are just missing. And I don't play drums but did find these isolated and good quality. I asked the guy for permission to use them. The bass and guitars are me. I used Reaper and it's various plugins, no amps. Rickenbacker 4001 bass and a Brawley A124FR guitar.

http://home.comcast.net/~dwcl/Man in the Box.mp3

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i enjoyed this! you should've thrown some back up vox on! don't sing?

3. LB75

LB75

Aug 29, 2009
    Austell Georgia
    Thanks! I don't sing really. I would actually give it a try if I had a better setup. I only have one crappy Radio Shack mike and no preamp. I'm looking for a better audio interface but cash is scarce these days. And this was all mixed with headphones which is a big no-no. Glad you enjoyed it though it was fun to do.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    It sounds like you did it the right way and detuned to Eb. I saw a cover band where they didn't detune and the bass player simply played it an octave higher, which made the song lame.

I used to cover that song in a band about 10 years ago and we played it in low D which makes it better.

5. LB75

LB75

Aug 29, 2009
    Austell Georgia
    Yeah it loses that heaviness without detuning. My Ric is sensitive to detuning though and I can get by with dropped D but anything lower and I have to start adjusting string height.

6. LB75

LB75

Aug 29, 2009
    Austell Georgia
    I decided to learn about midi drums so I rerecorded this song with midi drums I programmed because the original song's tempo isn't consistent. Some of the runs sound stiff, I need to learn about the 'humanize' option. I tried to improve the mix too, in the first song I posted the drums and bass were too loud. I'm learning a lot about Reaper and getting comfortable with the midi stuff is good to.

http://home.comcast.net/~dwcl/Man%20in%20the%20Box%20Focusrite%20Saffire.mp3