1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man, naming a band with 5 people..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    ...is a serious pain in the @$$

We've been bickering for weeks and can't come up with anything that everyone agrees on. We tried twice now making a HUGE list of band names (everything we've talked about, consolidated) and then had everyone e-mail their top 6 choices to one person to see if we got any matches. The best we got was 3/5 both times. And then of course the other two b*tch about the selected name.... hahahahah

My last band was "OK Hemingway" and that just came up in conversation. Our singer was talking about how she wanted a red beer (beer w/ tomato juice - supposedly Hemingway drank these), and I replied "OK, Hemingway." Those are the best band names - the ones that just come up randomly and everyone likes them. Apparently there's a funny story behind how "Minus the Bear" got their name but I'll let you Google that...

But man.....is this a pain. Maybe we should just fire the two who don't agree...:eek: Kidding of course. :ninja:

2. Been there done that with a 5 piece too. Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake I did....we were stuck for weeks, despite me offering over 150 suggestions (I still have the file somewhere on my PC).

In desperation I agreed to take on the name of the guitarists old band from Hong Kong. Name settled. Art done. Promo out. Banner printed. Looks awesome.

Guitarist quits a few months later. Band name no longer applies. Next band nameless. But that banner sure looks awesome on my studio wall though :)

Next time I do the band thing, I will have the name BEFORE auditioning anyone. Thats my advice. Best of luck with it.

3. PS, "Fire The Two" is a pretty good name in itself. And poignant ;)

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    When one of my bands downsized from 5 to 3 members, we considered calling the new interation "Fewer Moving Parts". Perhaps you can consider "Too Many Moving Parts" ... ;)

5. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    "Bezerkasaurus", you can have it...i can't seem to find a band who is willing to use it...

6. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Are you looking for ideas, or just expressing frustration with the situation? I thought I had a cool band name once. I mean, I really fought for it. The guitarists liked it. The drummer was basically on board with it. A day later the drummer walks in and says, "How about ___________." We all just nodded. Band name was in the can. Maybe you guys are over-thinking it? Take a break. Rethink. Then spout out some fresh names.

Also, you can Google a random band name generator. Most of the stuff provided is lame, but it gets your brain thinking.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm in a four piece and we can't agree on a band name. We've been working on it for months. We're playing a show in July, so at least we have to have a name by then. :rollno:

8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

How about "Five Way Standoff"

9. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    '3/5th's Rule'

10. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Look through one of you favorite novels.

11. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Heh, just expressing my frustration. We have PLENTY of ideas. I could probably list 20 I'd personally like to use. But getting all 5 of us to agree is the hard part :)

12. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    call yourselves 50 Fingers.........sorry, just lending a hand here.

13. Shouldn't it be 55 fingers then? :D

14. *rimshot* Well played!

I've been in quartets and trios -- it's no easier.

At my advanced age, I'm at the point where if a band name doesn't suck out loud, then I can make my peace with it.

15. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    I'm in a 5 piece band as well but we haven't rehearsed yet because of exams so names aren't a priority yet. I've been thinking about some names and put my fav's in my phones for future reference.
    I agree with the OP that the best namens are the ones with a stupid/funny/random story behind them, instead of busting your brain to find one that fits the band's style, isn't too far-fetched but still clever in some way.

16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Well, since you can't seem to agree on things, how about

The Five Man Destructional Band.

There was a band called The Five Man Electrical Band, which I thought was a good name.

:)

17. I feel your pain, but this will be a good experience for you all.

It took us about four months to come up with our band name. It was frustratting at times, but I liked the democratic process actually and it was good "bonding" for our newest member (lead guitarist). Our rhythm guitarist came up with several great names, only to find some semi-established band already using it ("Aces Over Kings" was one of those).

18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a list of thirty or something band names in my music notebook too. But then I had to realize that at LEAST twenty-nine of them will never get used. You can't attach yourself too much to a name idea. I suspect part of the problem is the very fact that you're trying to pick from a list of 150.

I would keep it simple: everyone nominates ONE name; everybody gets one vote and CANNOT vote for their own nomination. And no bitching allowed about the name that wins. You all have to learn to give a little so that the band doesn't get stuck spinning its wheels over a petty issue.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You're fortunate to get 3/5 for any of the names out 150.

Here's another method to think about seeing that voting for 150 names (or more) didn't produce a winner:

0)Take the top ten names from the 2 votes you've already taken (10 total names)

1) Have each member rank the names 1 to 10

2) Give 10 points for a number 1 rating and 9 points for a number 2 rating etc.

3) Total the points for each name.

4) Highest point total is your band name.

5) In the event of a tie of more than two names, repeat the process. Otherwise straight vote on two names, majority name wins.

Just sayin'....:eek:

Note: One group where I was co-founder way way back in the day signed up for a Battle of the Bands (actually I signed us up to get the group focused-basically our first time playing out) and when I was filling out the form, I took a name out of my history book and put it on the form without checking with anyone else.

The name stuck and turned out to be a pretty good name after all. This was when "the net" was something you used to clean your pool with. I mean, it was already registered with the Hollywood Bowl for the Battle of the Bands, what could they say? They could have fought it (it was a 9 piece horn band) but I guess since not everyone knew each other well, they just let it pass. We were together for about 2 years and played a whole bunch of gigs all over L.A. Great times and memories.

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

If serious someone needs to do the dirty work. Much of this bull is tire spinning that is better used for other activities. Commercial music is business not art by committee