Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man!! never noticed till you told me!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    now all i hear is that A-string rattling!!
    I´m talking about the Fender MIM Jazz, aparently a common problem, where the A string rattles.

what can i do about it, all the other string are just fine.
    please help!!! :(

2. Cut a tiny little piece of cellophane tape and put it in the groove of the A string, underneath the string where it hits the nut groove, making sure it is not hanging out of the groove on the fretboard side of the nut. Fixed mine until I can get a new nut.

Chris

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah that´s helpful!

but do i need a new nut?
    how´s that?

4. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    what you could also do is get one of those plastic ties for cables, wrap it around the strings about 1/2 inch past the nut, and tighten it like a mofo.

5. Man, are you really Les Claypool?

I find that if the A string is rattling in the nut, be sure not to cut your string before you wind it around the post. The more winding you have on the post, the greater the down pressure the string will have against the nut. The extra winding acts like a string tree. This cured my rattling A string.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You can do all the things suggested but it still might not help - if the nut has been cut too low or has worn down too much then it either needs to be replaced (expensive) or repaired. The bass repair guy in the Bass Centre in London explained to me how he keeps some "ground-up" material taken from spare nuts and he can then use a quick setting permanent glue and put some of the "nut dust" in the slot, to build it up to the right height. He did this for me for free! Only took a few minutes. But I did buy the bass in question at that shop.

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Now, if he was REALLY Les Claypool, do you think he would be asking us about a faulty nut on a MIM Jazz!?

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    man! claypool has carl thompsons everywhere, he would not worry for a stinky MIM Jazz...

I'm dave, i couldn´t think of other nickname at the time, but i don´t care about it.

But it´s cool because Rana Ross e-mailed me asking me for a duet...that was so much fun!! :)

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Here's a question that's been nagging me for a while: would it kill Fender to put an E-D-A string tree (which is de rigeur on 5-string Jazzes) on all of its basses?