Man Teachers really get me PO'd!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, May 15, 2012.

1. In the bad job sense.

Poor administrations hire worse teachers, are less likely to get rid of problem teachers, and most importantly - generally have an adversarial as opposed to cooperative relationship with their teaching staff.

2. I agree - and the same is true for police - but that means extra vigilance needs to be paid to the exercise of those powers.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    No I know. I was just fn with you. :D

I was just laughing about how we're quibbling over percentages of something that we both know exists, but it's hard to actually define. Poor administration is a big part of the problem, but it's usually systematic of a larger problem within the district itself.

Oh and back to the OP, what you're teacher did, is probably what I would have done (minus the 'you'll get a zero on this quiz' part). I would have either graded what you had out of what you answered, or simply put an 'E' for excused, and it wouldn't have helped or hindered your grade. So I take it, that while you may or may not have learned the material you were being quizzed on, you possibly learned something here in this thread. ;)

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As a former high school teacher my point of view is that you eliminate a lot of problems by having a clearly laid out policy for tests and quizzes.

Mine was that if you started a test or quiz and left during it you'd be graded on what work you'd done. If you knew you were leaving that period you needed to let me know and not take the quiz or test, sit in the back of the room and come by after school in the next two days to take the makeup version.

In my experience the biggest friction between teachers and students arises when students think they are treated unfairly. Having guidelines and sticking to them eliminates a lot of that.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yep. Clear guidelines and consistent, fair follow-through that sets a precedent is key. I've always said a big part of teaching is creating effective systems. Good systems create good classroom management. Good classroom management creates a fair, equitable learning environment. This ALL starts with clearly established guidelines, consequences that address behaviors (not the individual) and a consistent and equitable approach to instilling and enforcing these guidelines. A teacher can have the best ideas in the world, but unless he/she's got effective classroom management, those ideas will not transfer, and students will not learn.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    It's great to have guidelines. The issue is that many teachers create them and then either feel the need to *strictly* stick to them or they become too lazy to come up with something different when poop hits the fan and their guidelines no longer work. For example, see what I wrote a page or two back. My professor certainly had a policy for what to do if a student had to miss an exam or if a student just didn't take it, but he didn't have anything for if he lost a student's exam. Four years later and I'm still furious about that teacher's incompetence because of what his policy said.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    No policy, whether a public school policy or a national federal policy, is going to take into consideration every contingency possible. If they did, they'd be a bazillion pages long and judicial bodies would spend most of their days twiddling their thumbs.

I've recieved many syllabi throughout my academic career, and I don't ever recall one having a provision about the professor losing graded work. With that said, speaking as a graduate assistant, it does happen (I've had to keep good records for one of my supervisors, because he had to reference grades after the semester was over), and the professor from your story needed to man up and admit he was wrong.

8. If I read correctly, it was the teacher's phone that rang, not the OP

9. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Oh, so it was HIS phone? That changes the whole story now. You don't deserve it then. But it's always good to let the teacher know, especially when taking a test...

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read through all 11 pages of thread, but I'm actually on the OP's side on this one. If the teacher doesn't have a policy for situations like this or hasn't communicated such a policy to the students, he has no business denying credit for work done. Of course, if the OP knew he would have to leave the class early, he should have done the teacher the courtesy of letting him know at the beginning of class. But I don't think that warrants an automatic F on work he actually did.

I have four kids and all kinds of doctor's appointments and such and have to pull them from class all the time. If they got an F every time they forgot to tell the teacher ahead of time they'd never get from one grade to the next.

11. That would also help in passing your English class :D

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As a teacher I always tried to be fair and understanding, I very rarely raised my voice, didn't give a ton of detentions and in general I think I was relatively well liked by my students. But I was also in complete control of my classroom.

I had clearly laid out rules and consequences when they were broken. BurningSkies is right. Whatever students ideals about what the teacher/student relationship should be, the reality is that I had to be in charge for things to function smoothly.

I've told this story before, but I remember a student in my physics class who was constantly being a disruption. So he was very often sent to sit outside my classroom or when he was being disrespectful, the Dean's office.

His mother came in to complain that he was doing poorly in my class because he was sent outside so often and not able to learn, which was bizarre logic from the start. I explained my policies and stated that if he was concerned about learning he'd behave in class but she clearly came in with an axe to grind and didn't want to actually talk. She finally raised her voice and said, "It's YOUR job to teach him!" to which I replied, "No, it's not. It's my job to teach a class and if he prevents me from doing that effectively he will continue to be sent out of the room" to which she threw up her arms and stormed down to complain to my principal.

I HAD to have control of my classroom. I did my best to write interesting lectures and labs, give students the tools they needed to succeed, use humor in the classroom and take a personal interest in each of them as much as I could. And I tried to avoid them but I'm sure I made mistakes, especially in my first couple years.

But unless you've taught I don't think you can understand how important it is to have the students understand and respect your policies and to follow through on them consistently.

I had a very smart mouth as a high school student. Generally not in a disrespectful way, but I was always playing for a laugh either from the teacher or the other students. But for the most part I was also a kid that did his work, listened to instruction and had no real issues with teachers.

And I think that's still the case for most kids. Sure, there are still bad teachers, perhaps even in a greater percentage than when I was in school but the majority I still believe are good. And I do think on the whole kids have a greater sense of entitlement, but for the most part kids are still kids.

You can only have guidelines for those things you can reasonably predict to happen. When something unexpected happens a teacher has to deal with it. And teacher or not, some people do better than others with that.

I had a student suffer concussions (they believe it was two in a short span) during a football practice and he was out of class a lot for doctor's appointments. He also struggled to concentrate for weeks afterward and had a seizure during an exam.

There's no guidelines for something like that. So I worked with he and his parents to find a way for him to make up work later.

You can't plan for every circumstance but that doesn't change the need for guidelines.

13. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    We have a winner!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021