Man Teachers really get me PO'd!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, May 15, 2012.

1. yeah if it was my phone ringing i would be in trouble lol but i agree with what your saying. i just hope my dad doesn't blow up on the guy but he wont unless he has a really really good reason too

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    As others have said, if it was your teacher's phone who rang, then it does change the story a bit. However, that's another important lesson for today: Be specific. All you said in the first post was "the phone rang." Naturally, most of us are gonna assume that you meant your phone.

It's been a while since I was in high school, but from what I remember, if I had to get out early for an appointment, I had to submit a note to the main office in the morning with the approximate time a guardian would be coming to get me. Also, I'm pretty sure I was dismissed via the room's PA, not the teacher's cell phone. But maybe things have changed.

3. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    While your dad is talking to your teacher, maybe he should ask that you be transferred to a remedial English class. What the heck is "couldn't he of"? Do you not know the difference between "have" and "of"?

4. First off, it is only ONE QUIZ. It isn't as if it is half your grade, or anything serious like that.

Second, you are in High School. You can miss quite a bit of it & still understand enough of the content to pass a standardized test (which is the school's objective). Keep in mind - it is only High School. Not undergrad, nor graduate level.

Third, if you demonstrate proof that you were at the doctor's office, your teacher may be able to work with you. For example, he may omit that assignment when calculating your grade. Teachers do this sort of thing all the time.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And again, while your father may have reason to be miffed, the self-important anger is the crap that just wastes teachers' and administrators' time. He can always put you in private school if he feels that he doesn't have enough control over your education.

6. yeah sorry i should have been more clear with my original post. but in our school its more lenient with appointments and getting out early. i almost never tell teachers that im leaving i early. most teachers dont care. when they get the phone call they just say to me that i can go and i just get up and go. but next time i will tell them ahead of time. i didnt think it was a big deal. it never was for my other teachers. But the whole flunking me on the quiz is just bs

7. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    Also, what does the fact that your teacher is a man have to do with any of this?

8. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Obviously, someone didn't pay attention in the "appropriate use of commas" class... :D

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well the problem is that your teacher is actually right. It sounds like he handled it kind of poorly in my opinion but looking at your phone during a test/quiz or leaving early without notifying the teacher prior are both good ways to fail a test. In my son's school it's no different.
    If this happened to him, I'd be more ticked at him for not letting the teacher know first than I would be at the teacher...

Here's the thing - when you get older and are going to college or working for a living, you're going to be in one situation after another where NO ONE is going to give you a break. You're going to have to survive and get by on your own wits and pro-activity. Better to start now and grumble about it than it is to lose a job or fail a college class. As I said, talk to the teacher in a mature way and get it worked out. It's one of those little annoying lessons in life that can actually go on to save your arse later if you learn from it.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It was always much easier for me to get away with stuff when it came to female teachers too.
    Most likely because I was an attractive but shy kid. Im pretty sure I had a few teachers crushing on me. I really should have taken my Junior Year English teacher up on her offer to study at her place.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This.

12. in this class quizzes account for 20% of my grade. I have to do good on these to pass the class. so if i fail this it will hurt my grade.
    I forgot to grab a note from the doctor's office but i can just have the school call the doc's office to verify i was there because i did sign in when i was there so they have proof i was there. It wasn't really an appointment I just had to get my working papers filled out from the doctor's office because my boss needs them.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think I remember a Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode with that same scenario. It almost didn't end well for Xander.

14. i wasn't looking at my phone for the 3rd time. the teacher's classroom phone rang(you know the one that hangs up on the wall near the door in a classroom), he went to answer it and i had a feeling my dad was here! Obviously the teacher would be right if i was looking at MY phone during a test. Man i really need to proofread my posts so i dont end up getting a paragraph long Dr. Phil response each time from you guys

15. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009

If you don't want "Dr. Phil" responses, don't complain on the internet about a teacher being completely reasonable when you fail to inform him that you're going to surprise-leave class in the middle of a quiz.

16. maybe i didnt exactly know i was surprise leaving. Jeez:spit:
    Oh and telling a student that all of their questions are wrong is "completely reasonable"' yeah ok...

17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    You might have wanted to tell him before class that you had to leave early, especially on a day with a test.

18. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    In your first post you stated that you "knew you were leaving at 8:30 or 9"

Think of it from the teacher's perspective: Now, to be fair, he's going to have to rewrite an entire quiz for you to take and supervise you taking it on his own time after class some day.

19. yeah i probably should of. but it shouldn't of been a big deal to my teacher especially because i was almost done with it. My other teachers wouldn't care if i told them but i guess he's just tougher on his students.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    have

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021