Man Teachers really get me PO'd!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, May 15, 2012.

1. why would he have to rewrite it? i can just finish it tomorrow. It is also an open book quiz. Regardless, i probably should have told him but he shouldn't have said what he said to me. Like i've stated before, most of the teachers dont care if i tell them im leaving early or not. Once they get their phone call from the office, they just tell me to leave. Should i of told him? Yes i will next time. Should i be given an F because i didn't tell him i was leaving? NO!!

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It might be time to revist the rules of capitalization.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Most often, when someone is not present to take a quiz, they receive a 0 mark on it.
    Since you were not in class to complete the quiz why should you be allowed to finish it later?

4. If it accounts for part of your grade, you should have said BEFORE IT STARTED that you might have to leave early.

So what if most teachers wouldn't have bothered. Tough teachers are usually the better ones.

5. Ok, so you have a non-critical visit to get working papers, scheduled during a legitimate class at school. In said class, the teacher happens to give you a quiz. You leave, and are upset with the teacher's way of handling it. Why didn't you schedule your non-critical doctor visit during lunch? PE class? Study hall? If it was at lunchtime, you might have been able to get your dad to buy you lunch.

6. I think it's fair to make an exception for circumstances not directly under the students control. It's not as if he wanted to skip class, he had a doctors appointment.

7. Yeah i know. It is kind of hard to type with proper grammar on here. After all, it is an online forum. I could understand if it was more "formal" type of forum but it is really not in my opinion. Wow, maybe i should use proper grammar, correct use of punctuation, and capitalization so i don't get busted on here.Yeah i know that statement was a bit of a paradox but whatever.

8. Bingo.

One of the biggest problems in the education system? Letting the students think they run it. Heck, even in the 9 years since I finished school I've seen the shift get worse.

9. In my experience tough teachers are usually the ones who should've found careers in other fields.

10. [​IMG]

Seems apt.

11. Maybe because my dad works night shift and it would be more convenient for him to bring me early so he can come home and sleep after he worked an 11-7. Oh and it was also a POP QUIZ. i had no prior knowledge of the quiz so how can he be upset with me for that reason?

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    How does an internet make it hard to use proper grammar? Is it easier when writing on a sheet of papyrus?

13. I don't know, we may be having different opinions on what makes a tough teacher.

The softer ones which let people away with practically everything under the sun tend to be pretty sloppy IME.

14. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    Well, I was going to say he'd have to rewrite it because you'd seen all the questions a pop-quiz and had time to study the answers specifically. But, since it's an open book quiz... Why are you complaining about anything? He sounds like an absurdly lenient teacher.
    Open book quiz? I don't remember having those after 8th grade, aside from blow-off classes that the teachers also felt were blow-off classes.

15. Informing the teacher you may have to leave the class early should be standard, not on your whim.

Get a taxi, get a bus, walk, geez! How old are you, out of interest?

Edit - nm, I see it's listed in your profile.

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well, as I said, I don't think that your teacher handled this one very well, BUT.....schools and classrooms have rules.
    Even if they are lax on them, you still need to be on top of this stuff. You have to take charge of your own situation and not rely on someone else, because basically no one else will as you get older. It's the same stuff I tell my kids and it's 100% true. I've been there, trust me.

17. I'm just used to typing without using proper grammar because that's how a lot of teenagers communicate nowadays whether it be on their cell phones, IM's, or forums. Dont get me wrong,typing definitely is easier than writing. For me it is just easier to use text language or not use capitalization when I am online for the sake of saving time but if you guys want me to use proper grammar when i post on here i will. It will definitely make more sense to you guys.

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There is an important life lesson in there, actually. I know it's hard for a young person to grasp sometimes, but the world doesn't revolve around you, your needs, or your schedule. It doesn't now, and it never will.

Let me offer an example from my own life...

I am a contractor. Most of the jobs I bid on require that our bid package be turned in by a specific day and time. If the bid is turned in even one second past the specified time, my bid is rejected. Also, if the bid forms aren't filled out completely and correctly, my bid is rejected. There are no excuses. There is no second chance. There is no opportunity to come finish it later. Being the "lowest, responsible, responsive bidder" is the way I get work. Getting work is how I get paid. Getting paid is how I buy clothes and food for my teenage daughter who thinks the world revolves around her.

19. Guys thanks for the responses. Even though my opinions differ from some of yours i understand your points. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read my responses and i know it is hard to agree with a kid. We don't always have the right information, we make mistakes, i thought there would way more haters on here but many of you gave me nice, adult responses. I sounded like a jerk in my "Dr. Phil" post and i apologize for that. But i will not stand for a zero on that quiz. My dad wont stand for it either. And I'm sure if the conversation between my dad and my teacher goes well then there won't be a need for a zero.

20. It is probably a good idea to use proper english when you are trying to prove the point that you should not have failed your english quiz. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021