Man Teachers really get me PO'd!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, May 15, 2012.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I was only questioning the logic of the statement. Personally, I dont care whether one uses proper grammar or not, so long as I can make sense of their statements. I just dont think that using an internet forum creates any more difficulty in forming clear, concise statements than one would have when writing.

As it is, Ive been able to understand you, so do as you will.

2. I do live in the country. It is costly to get a taxi up my way. And walk?? That would take hours, especially in this rain i'll catch a cold. I should have included more detail in my first post so responses like this wont be necessary.

3. it was a multiple choice quiz ;)

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well, as a teacher myself, I will chime in here. First, inform your teacher about the absence. It would go something like this.

bassplayer1494 - "Hi Mr. Teacher Dude, I'm not exactly sure when, but my dad is going to be picking me up for an appointment some time during class. Just like to give you a heads up. If I don't finish my quiz, I'd be more than willing to come back in during study hall or a time convenient to you to finish it up."
    teacher - "thanks bassplayer1494, I appreciate the heads up. Sure, why don't you come in during study hall to finish it up."

Now, if a student did that in the first place, communicate in a respectful and forthright manner, I'm always more than willing to accommodate. In fact, I encourage my 7th and 8th graders to do the same. Sometimes, in order to get this behavior out of them, there are a few sacrificial lambs. For instance, I don't allow tardies to my class without an excuse. But if a student approaches me at the beginning of the class asking to permission to go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, or wash their hands, I won't mark them tardy because they COMMUNICATED with me before hand.

The same would apply in business. If you're working a job and you just up and left the job because your parents came to pick you up, you'd be fired. But if you communicated with your boss, he MIGHT let you go. (He/she doesn't have to, he/she might still fire you - suck huh. Such is life). Communication about your intentions, plans, whereabouts make you an easier person to work with. It creates less conflicts, arguments, and could even help you promote through life faster.

This brings me to my following point. What is your history with this teacher? Have you done this before? Does it happen often? Has there been an issue with other students doing stuff like this? I suspect there's more to this story than just you being an innocent victim here. Even if you are, I would suggest adopting a more forthright disposition. Seek to resolve conflicts in a one on one manner. Don't challenge the teacher in front of class, don't have 'daddy' solve your problems, and don't passive-aggressively complain about it on a bassplayer forum. This applies to life as well as school.

There is a right way and a wrong way to approach things. A direct and respectful approach will almost always achieve results. Even then, sometimes there are people in this world that are just dicks. Sometimes we still have to deal with these dicks even if we don't like it. The sooner you realize this, the more successful you'll be. Good luck. :)

5. Grew up in the country too, I got used to walking or cycling everywhere.

I think the attitude of the first post is what tickled mnay of us.

I also think it would be better if you approached the teacher, out of the moment, and try and talk it out instead of getting your dad to fight your battles.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    :bag:

7. On a more serious note, if you were not expecting to leave until 9:00 anyway, why didn't you just stay in class and finish the quiz?

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    That, right there, is a very valid question.

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This couldn't be handled with a fax machine, and or a visit after school hours. If it was an actual physical examination then I would understand, but missing class for paperwork? Come on, that's ridiculous. You dad should know better too. If it's a case of it being due that day, then a little better planning and COMMUNICATION on your part would be necessary. The only way, I could see an absence for class being justified in this case, is if the doctor was buttlagging on getting the forms back to you (which happens), but other than that, this seems like something that could have been scheduled around school, not during school.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Perhaps another valid question would be "Why isnt the OP in school right now?"

11. Open book quizzes are prevalent in engineering classes. It is very possible to write a quiz / exam which is not clearly solved in the text, and the student uses the textbook for exact forms of equations, tables of data (e.g., a steam table), etc.

I had two calculus classes that were open book/notes for quizzes and tests. Sure, occasionally, you happen to find your problem solved in an example or the integral tables, but it is easy to write a problem not included in the book.

12. I never had a problem with this teacher before. I don't particularly get the best grade in his class but im not disruptive. This is the first time this happened. I dont want to have my dad solve my problems but i think having him talk to him would help get my point across better. IMO teachers tend to listen better to what parents have to say instead of their students.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Why should the school office employess have to make an extra effort to call your doctor because you forgot to get a note? Oh, yeah. I forgot...it's your world.

14. It is hard to schedule these things because i work almost everyday after school. I am off today and i have other things i have to do later on and getting this done today was necessary. Not to mention my dad works nights so it was more convenient for him to do this in the morning. It might seem silly to leave school for this but it is what it is.

15. why not? Is it a big deal to make a 2 minute phone call? Im sure they would not mind

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I would try to solve the situation first. Ask the teacher if there's a time when you can come in a finish the quiz. BTW, if quizzes are worth 20% of your grade, then this by itself will not 'fail' you. Still, if the teacher is unreasonable and refuses, THEN call your Dad in. As a teacher, my students are learning all kinds of things outside of the class and the curriculum. How to communicate with adults is one of them. Also be willing to admit ways in which future interactions could be handled better on your part. That goes a long way. Good luck.

17. i feel that my dad is more convincing than i am. Im more submissive when it comes to dealing with issues with my teacher. its just how i am. If they got a problem, they can talk to him.

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    Don't mind BurningSkies. He's the typical forum member who posts condescending remarks. Don't know what he wrote because I already have had him on my Ignore List for a while, but I'd suggest you do the same as it never gets better. :)

Sorry to hear you're running into such a situation. I agree that it's unfair to penalize somebody to such an extent for such a minor annoyance.

Good luck to you!

19. I agree with what your saying no doubt. But if my teacher calls my dad today then there is nothing i can do. If not, i will take your advice and if he is unreasonable i will call my dad.

20. ralph.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021