Man Teachers really get me PO'd!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, May 15, 2012.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Great talk. But talk is cheap. Put it into action. EVERYONE has a lot on their plate.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I wont argue that. Though, I guess its up to the techers discretion.
    It could be a power trip thing, or teacher could be trying to teach our OP a lesson.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Are you familiar with the filing procdeedures in your doctor's office? Do they keep the previous day's sign-in sheet on the clipboard, or do they file it, or even trash it (evidence of your visit would be in your file)?

Again, the major issue is that you're expecting people to cover for your mistake. Man up. Take responsibility for your own actions.

4. Yep.

About half of the classes I took getting my Engineering degree were open book.

...and open book generally meant a HARDER test, not an easier one.

5. +1

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I know what you're saying I was the same way at your age, but just do it NOW - it's easier to get into good habits now, then to try and correct behaviors and such when you have a whole lot more riding on your shoulders. There's really no excuse. When you were 8 or 9, sure but now? Shoot dude you're going to be a legal adult soon.

I agree. This is why I said that I don't think the teacher handled it 100% properly. Still doesn't change the fact that bassplayer1494 couldn't have handled it proactively though.

7. Yeah you're right i should and i will. Besides today i have been getting better with remembering things. Anymore i just put events in my phone calendar. For example, if i need to bring my flash drive to class ill put "bring pendrive" in my calendar and i will get a text at a specified time that will relay this message to me so i remember. It really comes in handy at work too.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It doesn't get any easier. In fact, it usually gets harder. That's just life.

I'm giving you a hard time today, but I'm guessing you're probably a good kid. :)

9. Eh...

Most teachers like involved parents - and hate helicopter parents... which is understandable.

The only issue is that there are all too many teachers unwilling to admit fault, or place parents into the helicopter group based on "they disagree with me".

10. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Seriously? Sounds like you've got a whole bucket load of excuses to compensate for you not having to take responsibility for yourself and to let others do it for you. I for one am not afraid of helicopter parents, but I always turn the conversation around to what I expect of their child and what I expect their child to be responsible for, and almost always, even a helicopter parent agrees with what I'm saying. Helicopter parents are often easily manipulated by their kids. I seriously HOPE you have a kid in your situation like you're in now. Hopefully, you'll laugh and smack yourself on the forehead and go 'So THAT's what Maki was talking about!"

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, because helicopter parents waste their time with asinine garbage like this.

You're 17 and supposably have a job?! Time to put on the big boy pants and start taking responsibililty.

12. A really poor lesson on how power corrupts?

Sure, a boss could do the same thing to me... I've had bosses try. They were quickly looking for a new employee.

...and that is part of the problem with student/teacher issues. The asymmetry of power involved is extreme and unlike anything you'll experience after High School.

13. Yeah i understand man. Most kids in my school would of probably told all of you guys who have different opinions to f*** off but im not like that.(unless i have a really really good reason to be. Or if im really pissed but that hardly ever happens)

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You know, youre only getting a hard time about this because you brought it up on an online forum.
    The reality is, responsibility is something that we all are constantly working on. It really is an everyday struggle.
    I myself am currently suffering the consequences of a major lack in judgement. It happens to us all, and all we can do is work to recitfy our mistakes, take responsibility for our actions, and move onward having learned something about ourselves and/or the world around us.
    You dont strike me as a dumb kid, and Im quite surprised at the "mature for your age" way youve responded to your critics. Id expect most 17 year olds to get apprehennsive and argumentative, defensive of your actions and what not.
    I think you'll be alright.

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yep. And I bet your teachers see that too. Despite what you think, MOST teachers only want to see you succeed to the best of your abilities, even if they have to drag you kicking and screaming along the way. ;)

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I can't remember how many times I've done things with my kids that I was sure I'd never do. Now I understand what the hell my dad was talking about. It turned out he was right!! :eek:

17. Yeah i work at Subway. Some job. And i do take responsibility for my actions at work. But look, nothing i say to you LiquidMidnight is going to change your opinion about me.

18. It may or may not be.

I've found on occasion teachers think something is up to their classroom discretion - in direct contradiction to actual school policies and the whims of the administration.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It's a decent job for someone your age, and some of the skills you learn there will continue to benefit you for the rest of your working life.

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm sensing a theme here. Do you really think this exemplifies a legit issue, or does it stem from some personal experience? :eyebrow:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021