Man Teachers really get me PO'd!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, May 15, 2012.

1. yeah its not bad. i just hate dealing with certain people BUT i keep my cool and i get through each day and i always get compliments from my boss

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Look, I'm not doing it out of contempt, but rather, to give you a dose of reality. Was the teacher being unfair? Perhaps. But you also effed up by not letting the school/your teacher know that you would be leaving early. Now you're making up every excuse in the book to justify your actions and acting like it ain't no thang to waste the doctor's office administrative assistant's time and the school's time getting this note. Then you're hiding behind your pops. That attitude just isn't gonna fly in college, a job, or the military. I played with musicians with a similar attitude. They didn't last long in my bands.

Like I said, there's no time like now to start putting on the big boy pants.

3. Agreed. Not sure my agreement actually means anything since I'm a kid in most folks books but I think you've handled things on the forum well. I think you know who you should be listening to here and who isn't exactly putting their best foot forward.

At the very least, you're better equipped to handle a situation like this (the school thing, I mean) if it comes up again. Get the email addresses of all your teachers and add them all to a group so you can contact them quickly and easily as needed.

Oh, and if that meeting gets called, tell your dad to sit back while you lay out your own case. The more initiative you show now, the more able you'll be able to do so in the future when your dad isn't around.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I wouldnt say its a poor lesson at all, its a reality that serves one well to learn.

I dont think thats quite so, the asymmetry of power between those in an authoritarian position and those who are not can be just as extreme after high school. Power can often, and easily corrupt.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I agree. Bassplayer, you have been handling this well. This in and of itself says that your dad has raised you well, and that you DO have a certain degree of maturity and responsibility. It just needs to be polished in a few areas. (as it does with all of us, I suppose).

6. Yeah I understand... Im just talking out of my ass and its not gonna fly with you guys and i should of realized that before. I just need some work. After all, i will be 18 in July.

7. +1.

And don't put down subway as a job; it's a perfectly fine job. You seem all right in my book, and though it may not look like it, most of the guys posting in here would concur. Otherwise they wouldn't bother breaking your balls about taking responsibility :)

8. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Me too. Sigh. :scowl:

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1 on Subway being a legit job. Actually, that's one of those things pieces of wisdom I've picked up on over the years: Never disrespect someone because of their job, profession, or career.

10. Well i am aspiring to become a PC repair technician. I want to hopefully someday own my own PC repair shop where i can charge reasonable rates and make some $$$. But not being responsible enough will hurt me so i will become better. Even if use it through technology, it will still help me

11. Too bad the OP didn't see the sign:

[​IMG]

12. you know i probably would have taken that literally and said
    "damn, i shoulda brought my fishin' pole!!"

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Thanks everyone, I think you're pretty swell too. I'd love to share a nice cold beer and some BBQ with y'all, as long as you're of legal age, or at least can hide your drunk when sneak in past mom and dad after hours.

Now, you see...that's where you lose. Because now you won't see my reply, nor will you ever experience the wisdom and wit of my posts (ooh loookeee there's that famous condescension).

Which is fine with me, given I have no idea of who you are, or what your story is or any recollection of any interaction we've ever had. Feel free to grudge away if it makes you feel better though. :)

Now...on with the show. Anytime anyone shows up with girl drama, or school drama or any kind of silly cop drama and it's quite obvious that they've run to the keyboard to express how they're being horribly maligned...I'll probably be more amused and less concerned.

If you're really that concerned, you should be talking to your instructor. I spend my life dealing with students, some of which are about your age (usually a year or two older). I hear every lame excuse, every justification, every dog-ate-my-homework story you can imagine. Guess what? Your teacher is the boss of you. If you're not going to play by the rules of the class (or the school, or the institution) you're going to have consequences. You'd be surprised at how darned concerned and considerate and flexible most instructors, teachers and professors CAN be...if you give them a chance. And do so in an appropriate way. Disrupt a quiz by a phone call to the teacher and the clatter of you getting up and leaving in the middle of it? You're not just causing trouble for you, but you've now distracted your whole class. :(

And...as someone who did a lot 'stuff' in high school and college and beyond. If you do the crime, don't be angry if you have to do the time. That's what happens. I had many quizzes, papers, classes that I 'goofed' on. But if I got nailed one way or another, I took the hit. That's how it works. I have a hard time believing you weren't trying to work the class to get out of the quiz in some way or another...because that's what I would have tried to do. Otherwise you have no reason not to be up front with the teacher.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I never heard the term "helicopter parent" until I read it in this here thread.

I have to say, I am impressed with how the OP has handled the scrutiny and criticism. I expected much different.

-Mike

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That's great! All the stuff we're telling you will apply when you're dealing with running your own business. Let me throw this at you. How would you feel if a customer who doesn't have their serial number asks you to just look it up for them, and then asks you to get back to them? You'll be open 'til 5 right? It's not a big deal, it only takes a couple of minutes.

;)

16. Do I think power corruption and petty displays of power by teachers is a legitimate issue?

Of course it is. I've seen power battles between teachers and parents, power battles between teachers and the administration, never mind some of the power struggles that go on at the university level.

...and they generally have one thing in common - a teacher more worried about power in their classroom than educating students.

Now, most teachers aren't like this. It's a very small minority - just like rogue policeman - but like rogue cops, the asymmetry in power makes it an ugly situation for a student.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think I'm on his list too, but I can remember a couple times I offended him.

-Mike

18. My understanding was that he DID notify the school. Just not the teacher.

19. Same here. This is much, much less entertaining than expected :spit:

20. I think lots of adults nowadays expect kids to react to criticism in a more violent, hate filled kind of way. Which is reasonable considering my generation is heavily influenced with violence, rebellion, etc. Im just different from most kids i guess. I know i am young, i know i have a lot of growing up to do, and i know i have stop making dumb excuses for myself. Even my dad says to me that at times im more adult than him lol.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021