1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man, there are some weirdos out there

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Can someone give me a list of excuses to get out of a jam session with folks who turn out to be total weirdos?

I mean, I've been in some blind/Internet dates that were worse than that, but at least we can go see a movie and pretend to be alone during the movie.

But the last one was awkward. I managed to escape after 20 minutes. And yeah, we chatted for a while before I headed his way.

Man, I thought I was going to be tied up and raped.

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    just tell them your schedule changed and won't be able to make it.

3. All your gear got stolen.

4. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    "Words cant express why you cant come"

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You guys are too good for me - your concepts are too advanced - you are way beyond my level! :p

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You simply don't feel like it.
    Why not tell them how it is instead of all that BS.
    This way feels a lot better than the other I think .:)

7. morguedoc71

morguedoc71 Supporting Member

May 22, 2009
    You have a headache...:p

8. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    your dog ate your bass

9. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    I once told some guys I'd left the country to avoid jamming with them. Then I ran into them a couple of days later in the street...

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I believe he means once you're already in the room jamming with them. tough one. I've been in that situation. One time a guy took out some sheet music he wrote of something he wanted us to play and literally started playing it 1 note at a time like a kid who just got back from his first lesson. no timing, looking at a note, his neck, positioning his fingers... I don't remember what I did though, it was a while back. I only remember getting out. I think I might have just been honest and said this isn't going to work for me.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - your way, you feel bad about criticising them and you might get some "comeback" like "what's wrong with us?" which could be even more embarassing and they might even start to get violent if you are really honest!! Everybody loses! :meh:

Tell them they are too good and they feel OK and you feel OK for getting out easily - win/win!! :)

12. Bruce Lindfield

I think honesty is OK if you are 100% sure you can beat them all in a fight!! :p

Which I have no doubt you could...:D

13. Octoplus

Octoplus

Aug 17, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    It can be hard sometimes, but there's nothing wrong overly harsh about saying "it's just not my thing."

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    What's hard about telling them you're not interested? I would just say " You guys are weirdos and I don't want anything to do with you."

15. andrew1306

andrew1306

Jun 7, 2009
    Easy, do what I do - leave your phone on silent for a couple weeks and ignore any calls coming in. Call back all the people you want to with a good - "yeah my phone is on the fritz again" excuse. Also ht eold pretending your e-mail account 'was hacked and you had to change it but lost their number so couldn't tell them' works too if you have been so foolish to give both e-mail and phone details! Ok, you end up being a complete A$$, and you may have to move to a new town, but it's proabably worth it...

16. "Dude, man, I didn't want to totally ditch on you, but I only have like 15 min. I at least wanted to show up and not look like a complete dirt bag"
    Then take 10 min to set up your gear.

17. Start shooting up heroïne during the jam session?

18. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    just don't show up, they will get the message

19. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    this one gets my vote

20. Oraflora

Oraflora

Apr 18, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    A hero (hera or heroine in female) (Ancient Greek: ἥρως, hḗrōs), in Greek mythology and folklore, was originally a demigod, their cult being one of the most distinctive features of ancient Greek religion.[1] Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice – that is, heroism – for some greater good, originally of martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

--Anyone else see the movie, The Commitments where they hang a banner that says "heroine kills" or something like that?
    :p:p:p