Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man...they sold out on us!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 28, 2003.

1. I just submitted an application to play at NewMusicWest which is the West Coast's big industry shindig. I was poking around the website and came across this post in the discussion forum:

Hmm, what can we say. NMW sold out on us last year, we'll see what happens this year.

I think that NMW is a lil over rated, I mean, everyone thinks that being in NMW is the thing to do. I see it as a festival to play for the fact of just playing a show. If you notice that when NMW, Bandfest etc are going on, that month or so bands who are not in either of them have a hard time getting local shows cause they've been taken up by particapating bands.

Anyways good luck to all the local bands, too bad that alot of bands will not make the cut, which is a shame cause there are a few good bands out there that will miss out.

See you on Rolling Stone...

The Legion

www.geocities.com/legions79

Anyways, I decided to check out the website and wondered why they were rejected (heh heh) by NewMusicWest and this is the opening band photo...

The Legion
    I couldn't link the image...it worked on the preview though...

SIN6, MOVE OVER, BABY!!! WHOO!!!

2. Scrawny Guitarist who looks like he just woke up? Check!

Lead singer w/ tambourine? Check!

"Strong Silent-type" non-descript bassist? Check!

Ugly drummer in leather pants? Check!...and I mean Cheeeeeeeeeeeck

Showtime.

[Edit]
    Addendum (or something)

"By breaking all rules and staying away from trends,arena rock/metal band The Legiön, who are based out of Vancouver Canada, have chosen to be the leaders and not the followers. With screaming guitars and thundering bass, the music is raw, powerful and attracting attention. Having great songs with hooks and awesome showmanship, The Legiön brings the true meaning to entertainment..."

The irony could kill you.

3. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Mesh shirt

Wow.

4. I thought the opening page to their website was really cool.

But then I realized it was from Final Fantasy.

Now I'm angry that their ugly-ass text is ruining the pretty picture.

Jerks.

5. Hmmm, their signature track on garageband.com isn't that bad actually. But I still can't believe that that's the guitarist's real hair...

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Thanks man that is the best laugh I've had all week. :D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's with the umlaut? Is there a language in which legion is spelled with an O umlaut? How would that be pronounced. I know it's not German, because there is no combination in the language. You're not trying to rip off Mötley Crue are you? (Assume an umlaut over the u ... I don't know how to get one off my keyboard. I stole yours for the o.)

8. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Ironically they speak the truth. NMW can't be compared to more legit fests like SxSE or NxNW, and over the years it has turned into a fairly poorly run near-scam.

Too bad, 'cause it used to be something you could apply to for free and end-up jawing with bigtime A&R and other industry folk. Now you pay .. is it $20 or so? ... to ostensibly get "A careful review by an industry panel in consideration for the festival" and insted get, for a rock band, "Yo, its gotta be turned up." (sic).

How the hell do you "turn up, yo" a CD that is already mastered to a high volume? How does a rap wannabe reviewing a rock album consistitute a "careful review by an industry panel?". I won't even tell you about the scheduling fiascos that happened to many bands.

We ended-up playing the "Kitskrieg - No Music Waste" festival instead to a packed house while many NMW participants played to no more than other people waiting to take the stage.

Rubbish! I can still recall their A&R panels giving us the kibosh back in the late '80s. I lead a rapmetal band, though the term hadn't been coined yet, and they told us that it "rocked, but that kind of genre bending will never sell." Riiight, OK, you're the experts. :spit:

9. Legion's latin, I think they are in fact, idiots.

lee-gew-ee-on? leg-ee-oon?

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    They are probably ripping off Motörhead, they did it since it looks special - not that it works very well in 'Legiön'. And no, I don't think there's language where it's written with umlaut.

For pronounciation, <i>lee-ge-'en</i> with French accent is as close I can come up with, at the moment.

11. Say - I think I saw these kids selling oranges & peanuts at a stop light in West Hollywood. :eek: