Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man, what a sad ending.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The musings of a friend:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember being at a party in Hollywood in like 1997-98. The party was on the roof of a building behind rock and roll Ralphs. David Faustino from Married With Children was there acting all black. He even had a mini-afro. Funny stuff.

Anyways, off in the corner there was some dude playing acoustic guitar. I went over to listen. He was playing "Wild Horses". Soon a homeless guy came up to me and asked for a cigarette. I gave the guy a smoke and we both watched the guy continue to destroy a beautiful song. After a few minutes the homeless guy asks if he can play the guitar for a few. The guitar player says sure and hands the guitar to the homeless guy. For the next hour we sat there with our jaws on the floor as the dude played with great emotion, soul and unique style. A small crowd had gathered and all were impressed. We all told Faustino and his loud 2 crew to shut the **** up because they were ruining the performance with their babble. I truly thought this homeless guy could have been a star if things in life had worked out better for him. After a few more songs there was 50 people in a circle, silent. Then without a word the homeless dude put down the guitar got up and left.

A few months passed before I saw the dude again. This time he wasn't playing guitar. He was gone.

His name was Wes Arkeen.

Going from GnR in their heyday to this. :( Man, heroin is a mutha! :scowl:

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    That is a sad Story... My Friend's dad is Somewhat the same, except he bacame insane... His dad was a GREAT guitarist, He played with More soul then B.B. King, and Everything he played was "Heart Renching" in its own way, Very Bitter Sweet... I never met his dad, but one day he found his Dad's old guitar, a PRISTENE 1962 Fender Stratocaster. White, with a White Pick Guard, in PERCECT condition. In the case were some OLD tapes an Recording's of him... He wasnt the Most technical Player I heard, but damn if he wasnt Great!

GnR? What? I dont get that please explain.

3. GnR - Guns & Roses

4. That really is a drag. Unfortunately the rock and roll guys seem to have the addiction curse at a much higher rate than the rest of society.

Check out the stories of the original guitarists from the original Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. Both of them overdid it. Green was regarded as one of the greatest rock/blues guitarists to come out of England, he ended up spending most of the 70's and 80's in mental institutions. He recently had relearned how to play guitar and was touring with a band called the Splinter group. I've read and heard interviews with him, he's still not home. Last I heard, Danny Kirwan is homeless in London.

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Didn't Peter Green actually write Black Magic Woman? Everybody just assumes it's by Santana...

The saddest tale of all of these has got to be Syd Barrett. What an amazing talent he was...

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    is that the guy who replaced Izzy.
    Or is that Izzy?

Either way thats one sad story.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I was wondering, I was pretty familiar with GnR back in the appetite days, but don't recall this name? All I remember is slash and izzy?

8. Wes Arkeen wrote for Guns and Roses in the early to mid nineties.

See Mr. Cole. There is no need to fear me and close my threads. I come here with good intentions only. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

9. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I had a buddy in high school who was homeless, about 29 at the time. Guy lived behind little caesar's (fresh dumpster pizza) and could play yngwie malmsteen tunes note for note, flawless. really smart fellow, got me interested in philosophy at a young age. Haven't seen him, but some mutual friends say he got the normal bug and a job/home/car/wife, and spends every penny on guitars.

10. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    So close to a happy ending...and then this...such a shame.

11. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    beats being a bum :)