Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Man...what happend to The Simpsons?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I just bought season 4 on DVD and every episode is brilliant. About the last 4 or 5 years of the Simpsons hasn't produced but a few episodes that even comes close to comparing to any of these. What's going on here? Are they really out of ideas anymore, and/or are the writers now really that bad?

I guess it's understandable, after 14 years it's gotta be hard to produce quality episodes. I think the Simpsons should have done what Sienfeld did and opt out on top after season 9. It's really been downhill since.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ebb and Flow man, while the average funny factor of new simpsons is generally diminished from the old school episodes(for two reasons*) There are still some gems, even in the weirdest most un-simpsons type new episodes that show up.

I think The best seasons were when Conan was the lead writer, he's a funny funny man.

*I think that hte primary 2 reasons why the old episodes are so funny is partially because of better writing and more cohesive storylines, but also because they are classics, they gave us timeless jokes that only get better over time.

3. When the Simpsons was a new show, it was more like a normal show about a family, with weird stuff you wouldn't usually expect and occasionally something bizarre and obscure. Now there are lots of shows like this, and as a result, it seem like they're all basing jokes on certain formulas. I've noticed episodes of the Family Guy where every scene just ends in nonsense and they forget to actually make the nonsense humorous, like it's just obscurity for the sake of obscurity. And then other episodes are absolutely hilarious. Same with other shows. But like with music, a lot of your enjoyment of these things is about you.

4. I dont' know about the newest simpsons, but from when i was watching them (from about half a year ago and back) the new ones were always funnier.

I know, I'm taking the opposite view. I would occasionally see one fo the old ones, and I would just think "my god, that is so not funny". I thought the older ones were awful. The newere ones often left me laughing uncontrollably, however. And as a note, the actual jokes aren't funny, it's all in the presentation.

5. I've liked newer ones as welll, but I haven't seen as many, so I can't judge the newer seasons, just a few eps.

6. I just finished watching the simpsons and it was genious, genious I say!

It was the con-ing one, I laughed so hard that I cried, especially at the end

Homer: "So a famous actor, tons of old people, and the whole town was in on this, just to teacher me 'n' Bart a lesson?
    Marge: Yeah, pretty much
    Willy the Groundskeeper: Willy wasn't in on it!

:D :D :D :D :D

7. "Brrrrr stupid Smarch weather! Do not touch Willy. Good advice."

:)

8. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    All explained in the episode where Homer jumps the shark I think..

9. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I like the medium to late ones the most, because thats when you could sense that the characters and the style found to themselves. In the newer ones they often go to extremes and often loose the characters. But I guess they can afford to do that, because the characters are so well established that they play around with them a lot.

I like Futurama better anyways... :)

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i've never seen any of the episodes made after like 3 years ago.

stupid english television.

11. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    "Well there's a good explanation, you see...hey everybody surf's up!!"

12. Yeah, some of the newer episodes are getting pretty terrible. I especially didn't like the one where they were parodying Star Wars:Episode one, with cosmic wars. The dialog was just bad and the whole episode wasn't very good at all.

Older simpsons is much better with the exception of the especially early stuff where they look like they were drawn by a first grader.