man...what's with some of these instructors nowadays??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by neptoon, Nov 21, 2001.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man...i don't get it! it seems that instructors have become a product of shoddy students. i went into the three (that i know of) music stores in the local area here in bremerton, wa (just across puget sound from seattle), and one of the stores i went into, the resident bass teacher guy happened to be i was like, "great! can i speak with him?" "sure, sir," they said, "come this way." well, this dude happened to be an older guy...which is no biggy to me...he grew up listening to the cats we idolize today, ya know. well, during my quasi-interview of what i hoped would be a knowledgable musician wishing to impart his expertise upon a young pup like myself, i was sorely disappointed. i consider myself to be a solid, intermediate level bassist, but there's a lot i have yet to learn. but this guy! the first thing he wants to know is if i have an instrument...any experience...any prior lessons, etc., etc....after i finish speaking, he begins to methodically tear down the walls of our art. oh, reading musis is good to know, blah, blah blah...scales...yeah, they are too, but they're just busy work...BUSY WORK?! man, that's bull caca. what i want to do is get down to work and start playing he says...and...then...he says it...TAB!!!! :eek: :eek: i almost lost my lunch, man! oh well...i just had to get all of that out. i was told by one of the other establishments that they could recommend a good teacher, and i'm anxiously awaiting his call... :rolleyes:
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    u live in bremerton wa?thats where the almighty punk rock trio MXPX grew up!sweet,do u know them,do they buy stuff from that shop?
  3. I got the same problem you do ;)

I live in Riverside, California (or near it really) which is homeplace of Drummer from Blink, and most of Alien Ant Farm.

My friends brother used to get high with the lead singer. Hehe.

Anyways, I always run into crappy teachers :(

Oh yea, and MxPx (Magnified Plaid sounds better) is punk rock!
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i just transferred here from the east coast with the navy...sorry man
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what a total loser. that just goes to show you, anybody can teach at a music store. :rolleyes:
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You should check out Bass Northwest in downtown Seattle next time you are on this side of the pond. Only place in this area I've found people who work in a music store AND know anything about playing bass. (What a concept, I know)

Haven't taken any lessons there, but they seem to be pretty knowledgable overall and could point you in the right direction...
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Neptoon, how far are you willing to drive for lessons?
  8. Here's a tip,
    Another way to go about it is to take some free lessons on line before you go to a teacher. A benefit to this is that you'll have more knowledge going into it.

Think about it, you go to one of those mega-players and you have no knowledge at all. Now he (or she) is going to start you off from ground level zero, and at the prices you pay for a really good teacher, that's an expensive primer.
    Now if you can get yourself to a higher level prior to going to your lesson, you get a better lesson and your next lesson will be explosive.

I don't know your current level (I'm guessing that it's more than rudimentary), but this could be something to consider.

Check out The Libster (, it's very easy to learn from.

9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i guess that would depend on the quality of the you know of anyone on the your side of puget sound? i'm still waiting on one guy that was suggested to me to give me a ever heard of a guy named les sheldon? prolly not, huh...anyway...any help you have to offer would be appreciated.