Man, why did I stop playing Fenders all those years ago??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Jul 23, 2005.

1. I recently received a Fender 60's Jazz reissue with Ultra J's courtesy of Slater, as well as a Marcus Miller sig from the incredibly cool TalBass, and my God, these things feel like home to me.

I've been playing Music Man, Carvin and Ibanez for the past number of years (no discredit or slander either, all of the aforementioned make great instruments) and I completely forgot how idiosyncratic the Jazz tone was.

It was like taking an old friend out and catching up as though you were hangin' with'em the day before.

To end this gushy rant, I once again thank the users Slater and TalBass, both were awesome to deal with.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thank you Marcus. :)

I'm glad the bass went to someone that is really enjoying it. :bassist:
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Marcus, I know how you feel. I recently picked up a pretty plain MIM Jazz that was just super comfortable to play. Shortly afterwards I saw a really sweet G&L-2000 that played liked a charm. I A/B'ed them. The G&l had more output and more tones but that Fender did that J thing and I said I can't make a change. A Fender is good, straightforward bass that sounds like home to most bassists. I love my SR5, which is my main bass, but my Jazz has four string magic that adds some great spice to my playing life.
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Yeahhhhh and we keep loving Fenders :D
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Kinda like moving back home, isn't it. I've always liked Fenders (especially Jazzes) and I don't ever expect that to change. Nothing like 'em.
  6. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Nothing new to add, just echoing what everyone else has said here.
  7. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I justt ordered a Fender American Deluxe J-bass V and I just can't wait for it to arrive. I've really been missing a J-bass ever since i sold my old 4 stringer. :)
  8. VIVA LA FENDER!!!!!!!!!
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    si que viva :bassist:
  10. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    +111111111111111111111 ;)
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I sometimes wonder why I never STARTED playing Fenders until just two years ago, soon after a nine year playing hiatus ended. I guess I just bought what I could afford in high school and college, so I bought Peaveys, which were fine. (I'm still ticked about someone stealing my T-40 in 1986.) I didn't know much about Fender basses at all.

But then I tried a Jazz in 2003, and even though I'd never played one before, it STILL felt like coming home. I bought one within a month. Same feeling when I bought my first P-bass, which of course led to another P-bass...
  12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    definetly you love Fenders
    :D :bassist:
  13. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    <rant> Why did you ever stop playing Fenders? Well, according to quite a few posters here, because they're only useful as firewood.

Seriously, the first bass I ever played was a Fender. The first bass I ever owned was a Fender. I don't care how much crap I get from snobs who think a bass isn't worth playing if it doesn't have a spalted maple top, has less than 8 strings, and a price tag of less than $8,000; I'm always going to have a couple around. </rant>
  14. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    My first love was a 61 Fender Jazz. Still have it. After I took to 5 strings I just could not find the sound in my head (thought it was Modulus at one point). Until I got a Sadowsky Jazz.

15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    My first real bass was a Fender. From there I went to Warwick, Lakland, Kinal, Gould, etc. I feel I have come full circle with bass gear only to come back to a fender. I recently purchased a Fender American deluxe p bass. There is nothing that can replace that classic sound. Strung with flats, it is awesome. My next bass will probably be a jazz bass. It's funny how things end up. I have spent countless thousands on boutique basses only to end up back where I started, and happy too. :)
  16. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    The ig Lesson today was: get a Fender as a starting bass is a good choicemyou may not replace your first bass never,or buy a Fender Jazz as a first bass and then,try all others brands,but you have a nice Fender inyour home waiting for you always :bassist:
  17. Marcus,

I appreciate the kind words...Marcus, playing a Marcus Miller, with Marcus Fatbeams on it...couldn't be a better fit...enjoy those Fenders...
  18. Thanks again.

The only difference I guess would be that I'm Puerto Rican and I pale horribly in comparison to Miller.

No pun intended.
  19. I recently picked up plucking on bass (I don't call it playing yet) after maybe 10 years of absence, and I thought I'd try out something else, so I went out and shopped for few days and got me a used spector. It is still nice bass, and all, but it just doesnt do anything for me.

So now, half a year later, Im shopping again for jazz bass. Funny :D
  20. I think its safe to say that ether you love fender or you have a love/hate relationship. I go thru the love/hate everynow and then with my jazz but I will always love her.There is always that tone that can sneak up and remind you why you fell in love.