1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Management blues/good books to get my feet wet in the bussiness side of music

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kelto, Aug 22, 2012.

1. kelto

kelto

Dec 25, 2009
    Killeen, Texas
    So my band has recently talked to a certain manager in our area who wants to do a lot with us BUT certain members of the group are having qualms with the contract.

Let me say that noone has signed it yet just to be clear.

The main concern is that the area we live in (about a hour drive out of austin) is closely connected to music but is flopping astronomically when it comes to actually PAYING bands. This particular manager has the connects to get us these paying gigs but one of our player's (17 so he is a minor and has to have his parents sign for him) legal guardian is having huge faults with him stating things like his rates being high for monthly income etc.

While setting up re negotiations we have decided as a whole to work on certain aspects of the group that the manager already wanted us to do and look for other options just in case. I was wondering if there were any materials (ie books, online courses etc) that are extremely helpful and a good way to start understanding things like contracts, setting up legitimate show payrolls and anything else i may not be thinking about.

TL;DR
    Band drama about signing a contract, need instructional material ASAP.

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    What type of band us this, covers, originals?

How old are the band members.

How much material do you have that is show ready, 1, 2, 3 , 4 hours?

Blue

3. kelto

kelto

Dec 25, 2009
    Killeen, Texas
    Original band
    the youngest is 17,I'm 19, drummer were about to pick up is 19 and vocalist who is mid 20s.
    about a 1 hour set show ready.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Well, on the plus side, your all young.

On the con side, your an originals band. Overall it is difficult for most originals bands to book paying gigs.

There might be other areas of development the band should focus on.

For gigs you might be better off targeting high profile non paying benefits and fund raisers.

Does the band own a gig worthy pa. You will need one if your going to do paying gigs.

Here's something else to consider. An hours worth of material usually only gets you a non paying slot on a multi band show.

Most bands that are doing paid clubs & bars own their own pa and lights and have 4 hours worth of material ready.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If the "manager" wants a monthly fee don't do it. Management and booking agents should work on a commission. That's their incentive for getting you work.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    -1 on the mo. fee.

That's basically a "pay to play" scenario, only with a manager. He makes money even when you do not.

For more info, check out the TB Management sticky for lots of links. Here are a couple Intro to band mangement. and Must Read Books

7. MSH

MSH

Sep 4, 2012
  8. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    What may be true in Milwaukee is not necessarily true elsewhere.