Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Managing and Booking Your Own Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I recommend Onlinegigs.com

If you're involved with the booking of your band, you owe it to yourself to check this site out http://www.onlinegigs.com .

I'm not connected to this site in any way, except that I'm a customer. I don't know if I get any type of credit for referring cats to them, but to keep things honest here, if you do end up subscribing, don't say I sent you. ;)

This is not an online booking agency, a la Sonicbids (which has turned out to be a bust for me), but rather a database of clubs, venues, colleges, etc., across the country. Each venue has contact info (to where and to whom to send demos), genre types, capacities, PA info, etc.

Once you choosa a venue you'd like to get a gig at, you print out a label (from database), send out your package, document that you sent it and when, and most importantly, schedule a follow-up call.

There's too much to go into here, but other great features include: a calendar that can be pasted right into your band's website and is instantly updated once you have the gig booked, with driving directions via Mapquest link; the ability to send press releases to all media types (radio, TV, print)within a 5-50 mile radius (you choose) of the venue where you're appearing (this is fantastic!); printed customized contracts that can be automatically faxed or emailed to the venue (and copies sent to other band members); an "itinerary" function that you can print out if you're on tour, with all details of each gig and driving directions between venues!

Anyway, IMO this is a great thing. Check it out.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you been getting many gigs with it?

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I've only been using it for a week or so. But after sending out my first press release to the area media contacts for a gig we have in a couple of weeks, I've gotten a request for an on-air radio interview and a potential gig the station is putting together at another venue. Also in response to a press release, we had the local entertainment paper send a guy to cover our gig last weekend.

I'll be following up shortly on packages sent last week.

The service is a way of managing contacts, scheduling follow-ups, doing press releases and sending out contracts. You still need to do the work yourself. :ninja:

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    alright i have been in several bands. eeryone in my current band i have been with atlest twice..well ok its a 3 piece. we have gigged before but under different names and such and with other people added in.

what do we do to get are name out to play other places than just the local bars and such. it just seems that all of the good local bands happne to be playing good gigs or are stuck playing ok gigs.

what to do?????? we have been pratacing alot to get everything sounding great and tight. everyone we know loves it....

so what to do..we have all good equipment also

we are also looking to be able to live off of a band...now if we all have to get some apartment somewhere and work small jobs so be it. but it is popular stuff.

thanks
    steve

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It'll be very, VERY hard to make a living as a band with no other jobs. Even Alex Lifeson of Rush worked on the side as a plumber even as they were recording their third album.

One thing for sure, you'll need to be at least 21 to be old enough to frequent the bars and clubs you'll need to have frequent contact with, as well as a professional appearance both with the music AND the business side. No offense, but if you correspond with club owners and agents using the grammar and spelling you used in your post, you are going to have a hard time being taken seriously.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    o sorry about that im at work and kind of busy andi was in a hurry. im not that bad usually. really

i do understand the job thing tho'. i have a really nice job. and since i just got out of highschool and i have the potiential to be making over 30k starting off...a couple of years down the road over 100k

thanks
    steve

7. you gotta let us in on that job...I'd love a job where you can make six figures off a h.s. diploma in a couple years...!

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    lol

hell ya everyone does...
    car dealerships..always in demand.

steve

9. oh, right, sales. too much pressure for me.

and it is a good job, but they aren't ALWAYS in demand...just ask anyone working (or should I say 'that had a job') in Detroit right now...sucks to be them

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i work in service....but yeah i sell...so

steve

11. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What clubs/events in your area (or another area) pay well?

Who plays in the clubs that pay well?

What type of music do the bands play that get paid well?

What type of music do the clubs/events that pay well want?

These are some of the questions you may want to ask if you want to make decent money playing live.

You may be able to get some initial information at www.gigmasters.com or other online booking agencies.

www.gigmasters.com lists bands for different areas. Under each band is a description of the band, type of music and examples of songs played during a typical gig.

It also lists past appearances booked through the website as well as upcoming gigs. This can be used to determine which clubs or what events use live bands and the price range they are willing to pay.
    Each band has a quick quote button that shows the last few bids on jobs. This combined with the past appearances and types of music a band plays may help you get to a point where you can get decent gigs.

Something to try:
    1) Pull up the list of bands in your area on www.gigmasters.com.
    2) Look at the descriptions of the bands asking the most money.
    3) Get the list of Clubs or events they have listed if (and only if) they have past appearances listed.
    4) Contact the club directly

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that helped a little..
    i found that most of the good shows are on the other side of the coast....hmm a show over once a month....once in gainsville two at home town..nice

thanks

anyone else?

steve

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I will say this again...I will keep playin Bass just in case this whole doctorin gig dont work out.

Mike

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok..we have a gig in atlanta...and we are recording this week.

so its almost 900 miles round trip...its all gravy...

we can make it there in 5 hours..(proved that this weekend)
    and we have a house to stay at.

so its going well. we are planning to travel atot for shows..doing shows once a month at are home town and just travel everywhere else for a weekend.

out of state gigs are fun. haven't done it before...but either way its going to be an experince

thanks
    steve

15. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    I've changed the title a bit in hopes this can be a thread for tips, resources, anecdotes, etc. in re: Managing and Booking Your Own Band.

Thanks.

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks Smash. I hope more cats check this out.

After using the site for a couple of months now, I'm still very pleased and highly recommend this service. Just the functionality of a calendar that instantly updates your website is worth the cost. And there's so much more.

Only drawback? It doesn't do the mailing of packages and follow up calls for you :mad: .

Which reminds me. Note to self: Light fire under own butt and make follow-up calls today.

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
  18. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    I'm merging this into "Managing And Booking Your Own Band"

19. larryw

larryw

Dec 24, 2003
    Vacaville,Ca.
    I tried Gigmasters for a year or so. I did not get one show worth taking. Its okay if you are a band that will work very cheap. But this is not a good spot for the pro.
    Larry
    Skynnyn Lynnyrd Reloaded

20. ^ How cheap is "very cheap?" As a new band trying to get started, mine is willing to play some smaller gigs just for experience/fun/exposure/etc.

It has to start somewhere. :)