1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Managing Possibilities

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Thorny1, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    I'll try to keep things simple. I am already in a hard rock cover band, currently on a break while we settle on a new singer. Auditions are already happening, so it wont be that long. We have a solid group otherwise.

I went on CL to find another project to fill the gap. I'm 30, but answered an ad for some self proclaimed "geezers", because they are located practically around the corner. I was pleasantly surprised by the setlist- Frankenstein, Wanton Song, Freeway Jam- really classic, engaging material. No overplayed radio junk here! I've been working on their material, I have maybe 1/5th of it down so far. This went down over the last 2 months or so, as they dont seem in much of a rush. They also practice...get this...at 8 on Saturday night! Both of us have had to call off practice more than once due to schedule conflicts.

Last weekend, I was approached by a prolific local cover band. They need a FILL IN bassist, but i get the feeling they may need me more as time goes by. They gig regularly, playing the hard rock and metal that is in my wheelhouse. They have a massive setlist of pretty fast tunes, only a few of which I know.

Two days ago, the geezers put their ad back on CL. I sent them an email, asking if they had given up on me. They replied that they havent, they're hoping they can take the ad down after hearing me play.

How do I go about prioritizing this? I want to be a person who keeps their commitments, but I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew.

2. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I wouldn't consider a band that rehearses at 8 on Saturday nights as an option if I was going to play with other acts.

Sixgunn, lat, JRA and 5 others like this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I’d never consider any band that practices/rehearses on Saturday night. The “geezers” haven’t heard you play yet? I must be missing something.

4. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    They havent. I've been working on their music for a while, but practicing Saturday nights just sucks. I think I'm finding my answer already- I suppose I just feel like I've lead them on.

sqlb3rn likes this.
  5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Rip that band-aid off!

6. smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Jul 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Obviously, the geezers don't have a commitment to you if they re-posted the ad.

sqlb3rn and Thorny1 like this.
  7. Did they offer you the job on the phone because you answered their ad?

8. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    No, although I would expect to have to audition.

9. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    CL geezer band isn't on pace to gig anywhere, and it hasn't yet demonstrated that its combination of material, personnel, and showmanship is marketable. Also unclear if anyone in CLGB has any strong leadership or booking skills.

Meanwhile, prolific local cover band is presumably gigging prolifically. PLCB also plays music that you like, and they sought you out. Not clear if PLCB needs more than a one-off sub, but no obvious reason to shut the door at this stage.

Seems like an easy call, unless you're just looking for a way to fill hobby hours.

sqlb3rn likes this.
  10. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Two months and you haven't played with the geezers yet? Do they have any charts? if so, I'll play tonight. If not I'd pass. Seriously, to audition they should pick 5-6 songs and send you their charts so everyone is on the same page and let's do it.

11. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    I gave them a list of the first 5 songs I learned,and have offered to make a weekday or Sunday work. No go. I think I'm done here.

sqlb3rn and oldrocker like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I assume you want to gig. It appears the "geezer" band doesn't. Not only the Saturday night rehearsals, but the seems like a setlist that, while fun to play, would not work at many cover joints. Get with that other band asap and see what is up.

13. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    You've only learned 1/5 of their set in 2 months? How long is their setlist?!? o_O

Regardless of how long the setlist is, if you are only learning songs (cover songs at that!) when you go to their weekly practice, you're doing it wrong :thumbsup:

14. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    Saturday's nights were made for gigging, not for rehearsals.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

IME: juggling two 'possibilities' (like your description) takes considerable time/effort and in the end: you risk losing what you really want. if it were me = i'd keep my eye on the ball/game i want and pass on the detractions. good luck managing the possibilities! :thumbsup:

16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If you and the geezer band haven't been able to get together in two months, that band is going nowhere. Sounds like its just a bunch of guys that like to get together and play once in a while (not that there's anything wrong with that). I wouldn't worry about your commitment to that group because I don't see that there is one.

sqlb3rn and oldrocker like this.
  17. Band juggling is a fine art fraught with potential downfalls. I know some guys who get away with it, but more often than not it causes headaches for each of the bands (manager and fellow musicians) you hopscotch through. I always sympathize with those poor band leaders who need a list of fill-ins just for their resident band hopper and hope and pray they can get one in your absence (I've actually been that band leader, and it was no fun for me). Another concern is a band that never sounds quite the same or has quite the same level of quality because the band juggler is only there half the time. It's amazing how often the talent buyer and his audience members notice stuff like that.

Of course, if you can swing it and no one is inconvenienced or objects, it can be a lot of fun (I've been through a couple of band juggling phases myself). But the best bands I've been in, and the busiest, most well-paid bands in my neighborhood, feature the same line up virtually every time they rehearse, every time they perform. They become really really really tight and in-demand. And I realize that's not a goal for all musicians or bands. A lot of geezer bands couldn't care less about bookings, repeat bookings, decent rooms, decent money, etc.

tl;dr - As a semi-pro who takes this stuff kinda serious, I'm not a big fan of band juggling.

18. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Not sure why I am jumping in here, but why on earth are you trying to learn the geezers(exactly what age do you have to be to be a geezer?) set list when you haven't even auditioned for them? This is ridiculous and possibly a complete waste of time.

I have seen complete tool bandleaders try and dictate Saturday night rehearsals, that way they make sure your Saturday nights are open for gigs.

lfmn16 and oldrocker like this.
  19. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    I sent the oldies band a message last night, letting them know that the Saturday practices werent working out, and wishing them luck finding another bassist. I even went so far as to compliment their setlist.

As a reply, I recieved:
    "No sh*t, being in a bad includes weekends you dumb f*ck"
    (Edits mine, typos theirs)

So, good riddance! Thanks for the input TB.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  20. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Wow

Yes, weekends where you hope to gig and get paid. Weekends hanging out and jamming? not many.