Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mandatory PM from Mod to Thread Starter on Deletion?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This came up in a recent thread but wasn't put as a definite suggestion.

So I thought it might be worth asking this explicitly?

So - fair enough if a moderator closes or locks a thread then it's obvious what happened - you can look and see.

But if a thread just disappears, then there are several possible scenarios and it's not clear to anybody what happened.

So - could we say that if any thread is deleted ourtright, then the Moderator must notify the thread starter by PM?

Even if it is just a 'standard' one-liner :

"Your thread was deleted because....." - and maybe have a multiple choice list in FAQs. So Mods don't have to write too much - just the general heading from that FAQ.

(Of course this doesn't apply where it is someone who is banned becasue of the extremity of what they posted)

Surley thsi woudn't be too much to ask and would clear up a lot of confusion and save time for everybody in the long run?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, this because two or three people are wondering why their thread is gone? There's already a long-standing process for this - PM the mod!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Well - if a mod PMs them first with one line - then it could save a whole load of speculation - I've seen loads of threads where this has happened and people PM'ing each other and asking who deleted it etc etc.

Seriously would a one-line PM - just when deleting - be too much for any mod?

If so - why not just close or lock the thread and remove parts too awful to stay?

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ya, I agree, and I usually, not only PM the person, but Keep a copy of the text for reference, or in case a mistake was made or anything.

But I rarely have to delete topics or posts, unless there are double posts or something.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I think what is needed is consistency, so everybody knows what is happening and you don't have to go round searching for ages to work out what happened.

It seems some Moderators do one thing and some another - so some always close a thread so you can see what happened and others delete more.

OK fair enough - we get "bombed" by an obvious troll, posting offensive rubbish which is going to get them banned quickly - then they don't deserve an explanation and the sooner the stuff is deleted the better.

But surely, the people who support and keep this site going, deserve a consistent approach and to know what is happening to their threads?

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Like i said in the other thread, what if there are multiple mods in a forum? Ok its easy to PM them all at once, but to be honest i wouldnt want to bother the one(s) who hadnt deleted my thread.

I dont know why you are so opposed to the idea of PMing people, is it really that awkward? Before you ask me, is it really that awkward to pm mods, YES it is!, because i dont want to bother people who havn't bothered me!

Also, the fact that there are only two or three people posting here is irrelavent, because hardly anyone comes to the suggestions box, if we posted this in OT, id say we would get a bigger response.

EDIT: bruce you truly are a TB addict, you were on at 10 to 9!!

7. Bruce Lindfield

That's because I start work at 8.30 and it takes me 20 minutes to get bored! ;)

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i guess i have a larger attention span, 36 minutes. My lecturer's is even less than yours, she opened the door at 9 and i havnt seen her since :(

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, it is - simply because of limited PM storage capacity. Us mods have the same 200 PM limit as everyone else, and my box is chock full with things I want to keep, mostly mod related - because I do regularly PM regarding problems. I'm not opposed to PMing - I just don't care for "mandatory" stuff.

Every time I want to send a PM, I have to go through my PM box and find something I can live without. More than once, I've had to copy and paste an archived PM's contents to an email, which I then send to myself for storage.

All this time reduces what's available for *my* TB reading!

Also, I can only think of a half-dozen (if that many situations in the last year where I've deleted a non-spammer thread outright, and I've notified in each case. I really think this is a non-issue!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well if it's a non-issue - let's do it!

And if you don't like the word "mandatory", how about we say that there is a "consistent process" applied when deleting threads, which involves PM'ing the thread starter? :)

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Now im really confused, you do pm people after you delete their thread, why?
    I dont think it should be a mandatory, but it would be a nice gesture for the mods to let us know whats going on.....