1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mandocello Strings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gully Foyle, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    hoping one of you might have some insights into this member of the mando family. I’ve just won a wishnevsky 5 course mandocello, and given the range of the tuning and likely challenge of proper strings for the low c or lower, I thought I’d check in with the most knowledgeable horde out there, TB, and see who had the pearls of wisdom! I’ll post a pic when it shows up.

bholder likes this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Does wishnevsky = Wish Bass? i.e., is this an electric mandocello you've acquired?

If so, I got nothin'.

For a genuine acoustic mandocello I would just buy whatever standard mandocello string sets D'Addario or Martin or Gibson make and then decide what you perhaps don't like about their off-the-shelf gauge combinations.

3. Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    It is indeed wishbass wishnevsky, though it is a fully acoustic mandocello

I am certainly going to test stock strings, with adds since all stock sets seem to be 4 course while mine is 5

There are some many shortfalls and pitfalls in strings that I just thought I’d get ahead of it and see what the seasoned players knew

Bob_Ross likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ah, right, missed that. Good luck with the search. Sounds like a fun instrument. So you'll be tuning it CC GG DD AA EE? or in octave pairs?

5. Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    The sets I see out there for mandocello are all unison pairs, and I tune my Irish bouzouki/octave mandolin in unisons, so i am starting in unisons, though I'll definitely test octaves when I swap out strings. Definitely want bass heavy/grindy so maybe even bass unisons and octaves up high.

6. Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    89A705C5-586E-4E0B-9E5E-2BC558878761. 9F9368AE-5F99-4704-A7DD-089D31096197. 3A007F86-56CE-4824-9D23-CCD4435BDC90. 2ACF2E52-9067-408A-902B-5AE7ED35CFD2. So, got the wish mandocello - pluses: unique, will have a great voice, well proportioned. There are some issues though, the c course is too far to the outside of the nut, and because of the cuts in the bridge, off the fretboard. The fretboard has a gap under the end and, the strings all fret out after the first few frets. Limited ability to tweak, no truss rod. I assumed it might need love, but it’s not fully functional as is, which is a bummer. Unsure on fix or send back, as it is unique. Here’s some pics