Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mandolin players?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by grahambo420, Apr 28, 2005.

1. hey, i recently got a mandolin and i've gotta say this is great to play

i haven't been able to find a good pick to play with though they're all to big or to stiff, anyone got any ideas?

also, what are some good mandolin strings cuz the ones i got with it really suck.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I'll see if some of my mando playing friends can answer this for ya and post back :)

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have one from my grandfather from the 40'-50's. its a honod(ugh) and the neck is slightly warped. grrrrr.

4. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.

I put elixers on my mando and was very happy with them.

As for the pick issue, back when I used to read the forums at http://mandolincafe.com/ it seemed that most of the real experienced players used a heavy pick, but a lot of them also turned the pick and used one of the more rounded corners instead of the pointy end. I did the same except i used a light-medium pick, it made it easier for to tremelo, than with the heavy picks.

mandos are fun to play..i need to get mine out again.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been happy with D'addario strings on mine, but I've never really experimented. I'll have to try the Elixers some time. I use Golden Gate picks for playing mandolin. The ones I use are second from the bottom here.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

As for a pick you might want to try a Fender jazz pick.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    on my short list of other instruments to learn!

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I use Orange Nickel Strings, sound fan-******-tastic.

For a pick, you could use a jazz pick but here's what I do:

1) Get a pair of those hardware/medical scissors, the short snub-nosed kind that can cut through all sorts of material.

2)Get some triangle picks.

3)Cut off around the tip, but leave some near the edge on the side opposite the apex, it should look kind of like the silhouette of an ice pick-ax (I'll post pics of my pick when I get back home).

4)File the sides so they're beveled, not square.

This way, you'll be able to get a cleaning, more precise sound, it can also give you more control over the pick.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I like Gibson mandolin picks. As for strings, I haven't tried enough Mando brands to be able to comment.