Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mangled Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by therealting, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Somehow along the way I picked this braided instrument cable, and it wasn't taken care of before I got it. It has obviously been folded hard or tied in knots or something, and it now has weird turns which refuse to stay straight.

Is there any way to straighten this cable out again, or is it doomed to look like a bowl of blue spaghetti forever?

Thanks,
    Johann

Attached Files:

2. you could untangle it and twist it... won't be 100% but will look much better

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I had a normal cable like that once, what I did, it's kinda time consuming, but it worked out well, is where every kink/bend/twist was that wouldn't go right, I would lay flat and straight (need to keep tension on it somehow to make sure it stays straight and untwisted) and then set heavy, flat objects on top of it (books worked well, but needed a lot of them). What you do is let it sit like that for a long while (I did overnight, might be able to do it with less, I guess it depends) with the weight on top, and when you take it off, it'll either be straight and untwisted again, or not nearly as bad. The more weight* and longer time you let it sit on it, the better the result.

Ray

* Make sure to not go to an excessive weight! You *can* damage the cable by using too much weight.

Edit: If you don't want to wait as long, you do do several/all the kinks and such at once. Take your time, make sure it's straight and such with the weight on it, and it'll be fine.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lay it out in the sun for a day, visiting it periodically to straighten it as it warms up. Frankly, though, I think Santa owes you a new cable. Maybe one with a little quality this time.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It looks like someone either:

a) Used that as shoelacess (if that's the case I suspect a clown)

b) Used that as some sort of restraining device

brad cook

6. Thanks for the responses so far guys. Let me make it clear that it's not my only cable, and it's certainly not my first choice cable! (that honour goes to my Planet Waves cables)

I was just clearing through some of my stuff I have lying around and hoped this would be salvageable (sp?) to at least be an emergency "I can't find any cables!" backup.

I'll try the weight suggestion first since the sun is not very helpful at the moment (and the rain is bound to spoil the fun).