Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mango Bass Part II

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FzzyNoNoseChimp, Feb 11, 2005.

1. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Hey gang,

Just figured I would show you guys my progress pictures on my hawaiian mango bass I am doing for my senior project, today I got the body cut out, the p'ups holes routed and the neck pocket routed as well. Well here they are, tell me what you guys think.

-Chimp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Are those chatter marks on the last photo or is the wood flamed? Also, how does it look with thinner wiped on it? Does the grain pop? Neat design, btw ... :D

3. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    It has a neat flame to it that really comes out when you take the sander to it, and it also has that spalted wood type mark in the lower left on the bottom picture that I dig too. I have some scrap wood that I am staining right now that I will post a picture of tomorrow after it dries so you can see how many colors are in the mango wood, it's amazing!

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Mmm, this thing make anybody else feel ... kinda naughty? :eek:

:bag:

5. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA

6. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Are you guys trying to say my bass is sporting wood? Haha! Man the puns are in attendance tonight!

7. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Wood? Why, yes! What else would a bass be made of?

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    i got wood! Edible kind..........

9. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Mango is great looking wood. Have you wet the mango with naptha to simulate the mango's look when finished? Consider routing the electronics cavity in the back without the J-Bass plate.....I think it would be so much nicer. Maybe add some hand turned knobs of East Indian Rosewood or Ebony.

10. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    that might be too sexy... :D

11. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Good one!!!!

12. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    You know I had thought about doing that, but I really liked the chrome plate look on the very top, I meant I'm going to have to rout out a place for my 9 volt battery for the EMG Actives, so I guess I can think about it. How much harder is it to rout out a back cavity?

13. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Actually, It is no more difficult than routing out the front. A rear route has advantages.....If you are installing active electronics, you won't be resticted to a certain sized cavity. You can make your own template for this or buy pre-made templates and matching back plates from Stew-Mac or LMI(I'm assuming LMI would carry these items). A rear route also allows some flexibility in the placement of your knobs/pots. A battery box can be a separate compartment or part of the main electronics cavity.

http://www.geocities.com/tdog197/DCP_1228.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/tdog197/DCP_1221.JPG

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    That's a NICE bass you've got there!! How was the turquoise bit pulled off???

15. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Alright, cool stuff, I think I might have to give that a try!