Manhattan lunch ideas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Seth Miller, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Hi guys! My vacation starts tomorrow :) Going to Ireland. I'll have six hours between Newark and JFK. Would like to grab a nice lunch in New York. Something cool but not fancy or expensive. I'll be dressed like a slob and carrying a backpack. To further thicken the plot, I hurt my back a couple days ago and will probably be in agony and will need something fairly easy to do.

I am not even a little familiar with NY. Ideas?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Nice, that sounds good. I'm pinnning all these on the map. We may try and hit top of the rock. Maybe Empire State. That depends on wife. I'm guessing that time will be pretty tight. I think we'll just get to Penn station as quick as possible then see what we can make work.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Depending on the time of day, traffic can be pretty bad trying to get across Manhattan and into Queens. How are you getting from Newark to JFK? Cab or public transportation? I'm not sure that your expectations of being able to do some sight seeing are realistic; an hour from Newark to Manhattan is not out of the question and an hour from Manhattan to JFK is not out of the question. Add in the amount of time you want to have in front of your flight, that's how much time you have.

GregC and getrhythm like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yah it's really gonna depend on when this six hour window is and how you're getting around. You may not have much time to spare at all.

fingerguy likes this.
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New...1!1s0x89c26650d5404947:0xec4fb213489f11f0!3e0

And I think this is a little optimistic, with all the construction it's not going to take much to throw a monkey wrench into the traffic situation. Public transportation is more like two hours to 2 and a half.

Some years back a friend of ours had a 5 hour layover at JFK, it made more sense for us to go there to meet her, than for her to try to meet us in Brooklyn and get back to the airport...

7. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    You'll also have to go through "security" again, so that'll eat up some time too.
    If you go to Top Of The Rock (I work in the building) there's a Five Guys (good burgers and fries) on 48th between 5th and 6th Ave. There's also a Halal cart "Adels" (street meat) that I often go to on the corner of 49th and 6th. Adel’s Famous Halal Food - Theater District - New York, NY
    Hope you have a good time wherever you spend it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    NY is a big place and 6hrs isn't much time in terms of NY and airport.

9. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Hey sorry it took me a while to get back and thank you all.

We ended up (in just over two hrs) walking from Penn station to the Empire State Building and charging our way to the top; grabbed a few pics and checked out the view.

Got back down and hustled over to Pizza Suprema and mowed down a couple slices.

Still made it to JFK on time. Obviously there are a hundred million things we would have like to see but it was a perfect little vignette for my first time in Manhattan and beat the hell out of waiting in a station. :)

Tbone76 and GregC like this.
  10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I took two hours to walk from Penn Station to Empire? That's like 2 blocks...

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    get a hot dog from a mid town street vendor - and ask for red onions...they're fantastic!

Take a cab to Katz's Deli and get a corned beef sandwich or pastrami on rye!

12. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    What? That doesn't add up at all! But whatever!

13. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    K...

14. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    You must know a way to the top that doesn't involve standing in line.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I thought you meant it took you that long just to walk from point A to point B.

No line? Stairs ;)

16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Go to the Carnegie Deli. Rejoice that it is closed. Go anywhere else. :thumbsup:

17. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    MJ5150 likes this.
  18. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Fixed. Open til 12/31/16, according to NY Times.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No way! We eat there and Alfie's every time we visit NYC.
    The Sunday brunch at Alfie's is what we like.

-Mike

Seth Miller likes this.
  20. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Let me know the next time you're in town. I'll meet you there.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021