Manhattan Prestige Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JSandbloom, Aug 4, 2021.

1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    Just noticed a new brand pop up on Zzounds.com, Manhattan Prestige. Anyone heard of these? Seem like this is the only model the company produces at the moment. Designed in Florida but produced in India. Cheap hardware and electronics but wonder how the bones are, but who needs another Fender clone?

Manhattan Prestige Session One

MP.JPG

2. A thousand bucks? You could get cooler stuff from other brands at that price point.

3. JvdK

JvdK

Jan 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Just another cheap Far-East basic Fender Jazz copy. This brand is owned and heavily promoted by Neil Jason. There are so many of those already that I cannot imagine this is going to be a big success. Sire does a decent job with its Marcus Miller basses that offer much more than this brand at a better price point.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Designed in Florida, produced in India.
    Hey, let's call our company Manhattan!
    Other than that, absolutely nothing about it says $999. Such an unexciting bass that I wouldn't play one if I found it on my front porch tomorrow.
    I'd try to sell it to Guitar Center or Sam Ash, though...maybe trade it for a few sets of strings.

Gotta love this, though.
    Designed from the ground up to be a professional legacy quality instrument built for bassists that demand tone, quality, and versatility, the Session One is the initial offering from Manhattan Prestige Basses. Providing an uncompromised instrument capable of performing in a multitude of live and recording environments, the Session One brings to fruition the vision that a great bass is truly the synergy of design and experience.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. JvdK

JvdK

Jan 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    I guess the "Prestige" addition makes everyone run to the stores to get one!

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's some Madison Avenue BS if I've ever seen it. No wonder it's called a "Manhattan" bass. It's pretty much marketing fantasy.

That said, it could be a great instrument. But that copy makes me a little nauseous.

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's probably the question that'll determine the fate of the brand.

:laugh: :roflmao: not impressed?

:laugh: and, this 'P' ("prestige") bass is really a 'J'! :D

per the OP: i actually think it's a good-looking instrument, but it is just another FSO --- not that that's bad. i'm not really into buying anything like that these days so it's not a bother to me one way or the other...and they don't show fretless versions on their website, so there's that, too.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That's fine, but what can a Manhattan Prestige "blow out of the water"?

That's what I look for in a bass, the ability to blow things out of the water.

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. JvdK

JvdK

Jan 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Here's a 13 minute video of Neil demonstrating the instrument without playing a single note!

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. Maybe they'll carry these at Nordstrom!

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

for the archive:

i emailed manhattan via their website and inquired re: fretless axes or plans to make any. they emailed back the following:

"We are currently working on fretless versions, both lined and unlined. Were you looking for something with a natural ebony board or something that had a diamond coat polymer finish on the neck?"

apparently, fretless axes are in the pipeline!

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Call it what You will...Yes its another J bass clone.

Ok fine...But Guess what....J basses are still selling and probably most likely for some time to come. So why not then. Go get a piece of the pie Neil.

BTW Neil Jason has more street cred and heavier discography then anyone on Talkbass, not a dig to anybody but lets just show the guy some respect.

There are not to many session guys who can top what He has done work wise except for maybe Lee Sklar (and that would be close).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 8:28 AM
  13. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Glow in the dark side markers and a magnetic back plate…o_O

14. JvdK

JvdK

Jan 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Neil is a cool guy and met him in person a few times. Also friends on facebook. So no disrespect to Neil as a bass player and person. But I can hardly see this brand will become a success in a market already saturated with so many cheap far east made mass products.

15. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I won’t pass judgement until I play one but there are things that appeal to me.

rolled fretboard, luminous side dots, smaller body, thin neck, magnetic cover and a control cavity that is spacious enough to fit a preamp if you wanted to make it active.

I also like the absence of a pick guard, gives it a cooler look IMO.

Time will tell. I don’t mind where they’re made as long as QC is good.

16. And from that screen grab, the headstock is painted on the back!

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I will not argue it, that is a solid point and hard road He has chosen.
    Neil also was A&R at GC and I'm guessing He has some kind of plan.

I'm not really weight concerned with basses but I think its pretty cool that the brand is for those who have that concern.

18. SlapTap209

SlapTap209

Feb 26, 2016
    But there are a lot of other video of Neil playing quite a bit. Check it out: Videos | Manhattan Prestige Basses

TonyP- likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021