1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Manhattan TB'ers... Need some help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kaputsport, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    So, We are embarking on a road trip to the Queens GC this saturday to pick up a piece of gear, and thought while we are in the area, we want to hit up Manhattan as well.

I have been to the city plenty of times, and know where some stores are, but I am thinking I might be missing a few stores in the area.

These are not only Guitar Centers, but any store you know of that sells gear.

Please, don't send me to a remote pawn shop with one guitar in it. Anyone in Manhattan, please list the stores you know of and the addresses. I know about Sam Ash and the store across from it in Central Manhattan, but don't know the address. Anyone know some boutique locations to hit up? No specifically looking for bass stuff, but it couldn't hurt.

Please let me know. We are leaving at 7am saturday morning and driving up. I would like to have a database of stores ready to go.

Thanks in advance.

2. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010
    30th street music b/w 7th and 8th aves

there are a few boutiques on that street aand one right next to Ultrasound Studios has a Vintage Poly Moog in the window. :drool:

or just go to 48th street

3. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Yea, we have been to 48th street before.

I will look into the 30th Street Music. Could be cool. Any others? I remember somewhere in and around 5-6-7 ave between 35 and 48 there was a store which sold vinyl, dj gear and some more stuff. It was not one of those electronic stores. I believe it was near B&H, but I could be wrong. It was 2008 when I was there, and it was super hot, unbearable and we went in to cool off, but I know they had pedals and rack gear.

At any rate, thanks for the tip.

4. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Also, I have just listed my Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe in teh classifieds. I will be bringing it with me, and can deliver it for sale/trade on saturday if anyone is interested.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    30th Street Guitars
    Ludlow Guitars
    Sam Ash on 48th
    Rudys Music
    GC in Union Square
    J&R Music
    Umanov Guitars on Bleeker
    Dale Pro Audio has some cool stuff, but it's more studio oriented. No instruments, but every type of cable, connector, etc you can imagine.

There are a couple of small shops in the East Village area, but the names are escaping me ATM. 4th St & 2nd Ave type of area...but they're kinda meh.

Since you opened this in effects...30th Street, Ludlow, and Sam Ash all have a pretty good selection of nice stuff. Ludlow has a lot of boutiques, 30th Street is pricey but has some nice used pedals. Even GC in Union Square has a few nice things in their case.

6. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Thanks. We are going up for a studio purchase, so Dale Pro Audio might be the place.

I may also hit up B+H just for S+G...

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Check out Dale's website to see if they have what you want, and if they're open. They might only be a 9-5 M-F type of place.

http://www.daleproaudio.com/

B&H is awesome. Just make sure you're not trying to go there on a Saturday, they're closed. I don't believe Adorama has any audio type stuff, but you can check their site too. They're closed on Saturday's too though...

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    As far as I'm concerned, Rudy's is THE place for quality bass gear in Manhattan. No other place I've tried even comes close - either in product quality or in service.

FYI, Rudy's Music now has a second shop in Soho - at 461 Broome Street, between Greene & Mercer.

Rudy's in Soho

I haven't been to that store, although I've heard that it's smaller than the store on 48th Street, is quite nice, and carries mostly guitar gear. :meh:

MM

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sam Ash has a pretty nice selection of bass gear as well in their "48th St Bass Lounge" or whatever it's called. It's Larry Hartke's little brain child.

Rudy's never did much for me, but they do carry a few Bergs. They do have a nice pedal selection as well.

10. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, the point of the trip was to pick up some studio gear, and look around. I am looking to sell/trade my Fender Jazz either for cash of some pedals, but it is not the point of the trip. My rig is already pretty huge, and it does not need to get bigger, however I will go that route if needed.

We are going to the GC in Queens to pick up a used piece of gear first, but thought going through Manhattan would be sweet, and obviously the chance to see/play some cool stuff we don't see around here.

We have been to both Rudy's and Sam Ash numerous times, and loved it, but I was looking at some other options to find some stores that I might have missed. If you google music stores in NYC, you get a very limited list. I figured asking the guys here where and what would be the best thing, and I was right.

Thanks again.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    That's because there are a very limited number of quality music stores that exist here in New York. What you see is what you get. :meh:

It's not like Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, where there's a store in practically every building for at least two blocks. Or like Denmark Street in London, that has the same thing.

Good luck...

MM

12. timonvh

timonvh

Oct 16, 2010
    +1 on Ludlow and Rudy's in SOHO.
    AFAIMC (or is it AFAIC?) 48th St. is not worth your while.
    Timon

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Agreed. Besides GC, Rudys and Sam Ash...30th Street, Ludlow, and Umanov are the better shops in Manhattan. Even then, they are pretty limited as to what they have in stock.

It depends what you're looking for. It's certainly not the 48th St that people talk about from back in the day.

14. harrythehatchet

harrythehatchet

Nov 16, 2008
    is there a guitar center in queens?I know theres one in brooklyn and commack...there is a sam ash in queens .

15. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, my brother who is buying the piece, spoke to them over the phone. It might be just outside, but he has all the info, so I assume there is.

16. GC in Queens is on Northern Blvd, in Woodside/Long Island City. Next to Chuck E Cheese in a large shopping complex.