Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manic Moonlight

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I recently purchased this cd and have to say that I am not overly impressed with it. I consider myself to be a pretty big King's X fan but am having a hard time getting into these songs. There are a few standouts that are ok, but as a whole this really isn't up to par with some of their earlier efforts (Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, Dogman, etc.). Just was wondering if anyone else has this cd and has any opinions-good, bad, or otherwise.

On a side note, I also purchased Anoraknophobia from Marillion and IMO there isn't a bad song on the entire album.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm totally with you on this one.
    I own every King's X album but this one is probably their weakest album.

Ear Candy is the best of their post-FHL phase IMO. Or is it Dogman? Can't decide right now.

<small>***walks off to the CD shelf for a King's X listening session...***</small>

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've not heard Manic Moonlight yet, but I do know that King's X albums tend to grow on me - when I first bought Out Of The Silent Planet I was totally underwhelmed (what on earth was I thinking??????????) - and both Ear Candy and Tape Head took some getting used to, but are now both firm favourites... When I do get Manic Moonlight, it's going to get some serious listening time regardless of how it impacts me on the first listen - a band that deep deserve the respect of repeated listening to get inside where they are at with each recording... Any thoughts on '...Mr Bulbous'? I LOVE it, some really crazy outside stuff on there but still loads of those glorious harmonies that we all fell in love with...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (new CD here - listen now, order now! :oops:)

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I can see what you are sayng about giving it a good listen, and while I still enjoy the album I just don't feel it's on par with their earlier recordings. It seems that most of Ty's better songs showed up on his solo album (which is outstanding). But again that's just my personal opinion. As far as Mr. Bulbous is concerned I absolutely love that album great songs. I was hooked on that album on the first listen.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I first had a hard time liking Mr. Bulbous.
    But then I saw King's X live for the first time (for free!!! :p ), and I liked those songs much more after that.
    I just hope they'll tour Germany more often, I had to wait for that gig almost 10 years!