1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Apr 23, 2010.

1. I've always thought that Nicky Wire played a Ricky on this.

However, he was also playing a Jazz at this time.....one audio clip I heard of them live in '94 I was sure it was his Ric....and it turned out to be the Jazz!:crying:

Any ideas on this? It's always something I wondered!

2. I'm pretty sure it's mostly Rickenbacker on THB. Archives of Pain and The Intense Humming of Evil in particular show off that Rickenbacker clank wonderfully. If there is any Jazz on this album I'd be surprised.

Incidentally, THB is one of my favourite albums ever. It's pretty terrifying. And Archives of Pain contains possibly the most evil bassline of all time. Nicky Wire continually knocks his bass playing, and to be honest I think he is a pretty lazy player for the most part, but on this album he is just superb.

3. +1.

I'm glad you said this - I too thought it was the Ric until I saw the Jazz in action.

I really love the strong Joy Division influence on THB....I know Hooky used his Hondo Ric copy for a fair while in JD, and I've always thought that the Manics reflected that aspect well on THB.

I personally rate it as one of the best albums of the 1990's, and I'm also in full agreement about Wire's playing - and that THB is the only record where he's really come alive.

For me, the Manics never regained the quality they had here. 'Everything Must Go' never captured me, and from then on....

Then again, how could you ever repeat THB?

4. I love Everything Must Go, it's a complete 360 from THB but still wonderful. Lost interest for a while but I thought Send Away The Tigers was a great album. Still haven''t heard the latest one.

And it seems we may be the only two on Talkbass who love The Holy Bible... ;)

5. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    THB is great... But tonight, I noticed that the bass tone I want is pretty much what you hear all throughout GATS. Does anyone know how to get close to that tone? I can't really change my bass (Squier Jazz w/ DiMarzio DP123 pups)... I also can't buy an amp (I have a practice amp, Laney RB1, and I use whatever amp is available at the rehearsal studio/venue). But I could change my pedals... I use an MXR M80 and I think maybe the Tech 21 VT Bass might be a better one for getting that kind of tone. Anybody know?

6. GATS is Rickenbacker in stereo - one of the best examples of it I can think of. A pedal isn't really going to get you there, although the MXR could probably do a very rough impersonation if you boost the treble and work in a bit of distortion. New strings are a must, and play with a pick near the neck.
    It's a stunning tone to chase though. Apparently JDB played bass on it!

7. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    Yes, all these years being a manics fan, I only noticed how amazing it is once I started playing bass seriously in a band myself. What a tone.... I'll probably never own a Rickenbacker, oh well...