Manipulating a Cord (Pins / GK's 50 watt Horn)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by joshpickeral, Jun 23, 2019.

  1. joshpickeral


    Nov 11, 2015
    Does anyone know anything about manipulating a cable's pins so that i can utilize GK's 50 watt (reserved for Horns on their cabinets).

    I know youre supposed to buy their cabinets and enjoy a 50 watt powered horn. But i thought I read, a long time ago, that theres a way to maniuplate the cable's (pins) so that its essentially a 50w out?

    is this something that the local repair guy should be able to do?


    Josh Pickeral
    Waldorf, MD

    Bass Guitar Player
    Pick <-- tracks made while learning to mix and record with FL Studio and the ZOOM UAC-8. <--- glad to see PC's improve (with USB 3.0).

    Ibanez SR5000
    GK 2001RB (540 x 2 + 50w x 2) <-- which is what i wanta utilize (by manipulating a cable).
    Hartke 4.5XL
    Hartke Transporter (speakers replaced with HX250 <-- Hartke Hydrive. 250w x 4)

    Peavey Dark Matter 115 SUB <-- i had this laying around and was surprised to find it added a lot to my rig. <--- still experimenting with this.

    PC -- I7 6700k -- 64GB RAM -- SSD -- 3U RACK CASE -- FL STUDIO <-- luving it
  2. I assume you're asking about the 2001RB. The block diagram is available here (page 20):

    Internally the 50Wamp is hardwired post-crossover. This means if you wanted to use it as a full range output, you'd have to modify the circuit to bypass the crossover.

    If you just want to use the 50W HF signal for a non-biamped cabinet, you can make a custom cable. 4 conductor speakon cables are designed to carry two different signals. You could make a cable to split signal 1 (full Range/LF) and signal 2 (HF). If you just want to access the 50W HF signal, you could make a cable for that. The typical 2 conductor Speakon cable will access only the first signal.
  3. And I

    And I

    Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I would post in Amps and Cabs.