Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manipulating my Karma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I just gave my low end cab away.

Sort of...

I don't mean my current low end cab. I mean my Randall 2x15. It was my old Low end cab that I don't use anymore. It is way too big to be in the house. I don't gig anymore...etc.

Last week or so I was at the GC, and there was this kid. He looked about 19 or 20 years old. And he was getting way too intent looking for a deal among the less-than-stellar selection at the Arlington GC.

So I start talking to him. And he reminded me of me about 20 years ago. He needed a LOT of amp for not so much money. He was running a 4x10 on 200 watts and wanted to upgrade. for 600 whole dollars.

Inspiration struck, and I told him I have an old 2x15 cab that I would give him 'free to a good home.' That way he could keep the 4x10, add the 2x15, and spend all his new amp budget on a more serious head to drive them both. I suggested the Carvin R1000. That way he could actually be audible with two guitarists, each pushing a hundred watts.

He came and got it today. I think he will get some decent use out of it. And I wasn't using it anymore anyway. So I'm glad. And I cleared a little space so my wife is glad.

Anybody else given gear away to help someone stay in the game?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Lets just say you're a better man than I.

<Pats Bard on the back>

3. prophecy

prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    Earth
    what a guy, if only there were more people like you in the world! :)

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    That is too cool!

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Your a good man Bard2dbone :) That was a very kind thing to do.

6. wow just wow

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Guys, you're practically making me blush here. All I did was give away a piece of gear I wasn't going to ever use again. It's not like I donated a kidney or something.

The thing was way too big to move around. I don't play out with any regularity anymore and if I do, I don't use the monstrous rig that I used in the '90's. It is much easier to take my Redhead than the 2x15, the 2x10, and the head. (and besides I sold the head and the 2x10.)

Think on a more reasonable scale here.

I was looking for things like...the guy who is following you at a festival-type gig trashes his cord right before he is supposed to go on,( He caught it in the hinge of the trailer door and it cut the cable, he was new enough at this to not have a backup. He spazzed pretty bad.) so you think to yourself 'If I was in that spot...' and give him your backup cable. I've done several things like that but I doubt all of them before this week added up to a hundred bucks together. Those were the kind of things I was picturing for this thread.

That's why I called it manipulating karma, trying to build up some credit with the universe so that hopefully things will go my way some other time when I need it. Much more the 'Oh, you busted your D string? I have an extra.' not so much the 'Here, let me donate a lung for you.'

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I was looking for things like...the guy who is following you at a festival-type gig trashes his cord right before he is supposed to go on,( He caught it in the hinge of the trailer door and it cut the cable, he was new enough at this to not have a backup. He spazzed pretty bad.) so you think to yourself 'If I was in that spot...' and give him your backup cable. I've done several things like that but I doubt all of them before this week added up to a hundred bucks together. Those were the kind of things I was picturing for this thread.

I've provided whole rigs to musicians at gigs I was mixing, not as part of the contract. I always carry spare guitar cables, batteries and such when I'm mixing. But that's just part of being a good sound provider, nothing noble there really. Likewise, I've done many amp repairs for free, because I knew I could afford the hit better than the other guy.

That's why I called it manipulating karma, trying to build up some credit with the universe so that hopefully things will go my way some other time when I need it. Much more the 'Oh, you busted your D string? I have an extra.

OK, I got that covered. I was hanging out in Stowe, VT in a packed nightclub many years ago. There was a killer funk band playing, and the bass player broke his D string...really. The instant the tune ended, he looks right at me, out of maybe 600 people in there. Casually says: "hey man, got a spare D string?" I ask him what gauge he wants. I have the keys to the music store across the street, plus a few sets upstairs in my apartment. Bring him back a nice shiny Rotosound, before the break's halfway over. No worries, it's on me. I asked him how he happened to ask me, out of all those people. He just gave me one of those looks. I don't know why, but I'm an easy mark as to being a bassist.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My very first rig was given to me as well. The bass player who quit the band I was joining gave me his Hartke 3500, and a 215 cab. He is an excellent guitar player, who joined this band to play bass. After a few months, he changed his mind, went back to another band where he could play guitar. The first time I show up to jam with my new band, I show up with a little Crate combo. He tell's me I can have the gear since he isn't ever going to use it again.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to sell the 215 to buy a 115. After considering your thread, I realize that I should just give it to someone. Must be Karma working against me as I am trying to sell something I received for free.

"Now Milton.......don't be greedy."

-Mike

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have gave two great deals on guitars to friends who wanted to play. I give three people lessons for free (as they need them-once a month per guy or so...) Just for the love of music. I feel it helps me to appreciate music more to help someone out with it. The lessons are a blast to give too, I think I have more fun than they do.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, this thread ALMOST makes me wanna give my LA-15 away for free, but then I realize i'm a greedy bastard and would rather make money off of it while watching somebody pay money for a turd of an amp. :crying: :bag:

12. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I really consider myself a nice guy. I have given away what I no longer need before. For instance (I know this sounds like nothing compared to the other stories) I gave away my tiny Peavey guitar amp (first amp that was sold to me... with a bass) to a kid I knew who had an electric guitar that his uncle had given him, but no amp. Felt good.

I also teach lessons privatley, but I give lessons to 2 people for free because I have been friends with them for a long time.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah! Like that. Now if it was given to you it is karmically uncool to sell it. Find some kid who needs it bad and make some karma points man. :cool:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm working on it.

-Mike

15. Like my first bass! I bought it in peices (in a box) for $50. I put it together and played it to hell and back. I kept it for years as a "beater" but eventually stripped off all the finish, painted it, added a new pick-gaurd, pick-ups/pots, and strings. I was planning to give it as a gift to a girlfriend. Well... she dumped me!

I knew this kid who really wanted to play so I told him he could use it. It spent more time with him then me and I wound up showing him a few things, he got a little better. One day I told him to keep the bass. He was really surprised. He asked if he owed me anything and I told him this:

When you're done with it, give it to someone else. Tell them that you're giving it to them with this one condition (see previous statement).

I don't know what ever happened to that bass. This was many years ago and the story never really crossed my mind until now. I know that might sound stupid, lame, made up, etc... but I swear it's true. I suppose this is more along the lines of what you intended to get in reply to your post. These are the kinds of things that were done for me and it's just what I've done for others.

Hows it go? Do unto others as you would have done to you?

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've given small items, (bridges, Carvin footswitch, amp feet), and such that I have laying around. I'd much rather that the stuff get some use than hoard it... Good feelings usually follow, as well as the feeling that the recipient will more than likely continue the motion, turning a small karmic ripple into a veritable karma wave! TB's a great community for this type of stuff...

-robert