Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manne Soulmover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 12, 2005.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Italian builder Manne indtroduced a new model. It's called Soulmover and it's a signature model bass built to the specs of rock bassplayer Glenn Hughes.

I have not yet seen the bass in person. just some pics i post here.

I love classic, fenderish style basses, but i also give major kudos to those builder who try to show something "unusual". For this reason i love the sadly discontinued Reverend rumblefish basses.

This Soulmover is a mix. I have not yet understood if i like it or not.

What's your opinion?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other informations here:

www.manne.com

and lots' o' big pics here:

http://www.ghpg.net/ctc/signaturebass/

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Kind of cool, but I must admit that I am a bit unsure about it as well. I do really like Glenn Hughes and am curious to hear the new album with Chad Smith from RHCP on drums and Dave Navarro on guitar. It might be pretty cool.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Saw a link to one on ebay. I think its kind of cool, but it was way overpriced.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Saw a clip recently from the three of them. While I wouldn't say it was bad, to the contrary, it was good, but I wasn't blown away by their playing. :meh:

Also, I don't really like that shape.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    err.. Looks like a cross between a Rick, Kubicki and a JP-90?

No contours?

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I actually like the shape on it. It's unique/recognizable without being too over the top. Nice blend of modern and vintage.

I'm digging the Newport model as well. I like its shape and the jazz/MM setup.

But aren't these basses, like, ridiculously expensive? Like $3000- $4000 in the US or something like that? Even though these are import basses, I'm not sure if/how much I can really justify paying *that* much for a basswood bass with passive electronics. For that much money, I'll take 3 Bud LeCompte basses instead.

And I figured I'd say something here since I don't know much about Manne basses save for seeing the picture of Glen Hughes with his Soulmover in BP magazine and digging the shape. And I'll bet others out there may be curious about Manne basses too.

7. The Manne dealer in Sweden lives in my town, a very nice guy, I consider him a friend of mine. I got to borrow an Acoustibass 5, fretless with piezos. It had one of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard, fretted and fretless.

The shape actually looks better on the 5-strings. I dig the soulmover too.

8. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I dunno, I don't really like how it looks..

9. I like it's shape but hate the colors!!!

But it is nice to see a good unusual bass with passive electronics. I would like to try it out , but the Price!!!...simply too much!!! :rollno:

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    OK, I am the biggest Glenn Hughes fan in the world (which puts me in a minority) couple that with also being a bass player and the pool is even smaller. I have everything Mr. Hughes has comitted to tape & of my 5 basses one is a Fireglo Rickenbacker almost identical to the one he plays on the Deep Purple "Made In Europe" LP.
    That being said, I would never drop $3200.00 for that bass. I saw Glenn play two nights at the Tommy Bolin Festival last summer & he was playing a prototype of the Soul Mover. The straplocks kept falling off all night. Plus, on the Eurpoean leg of his recent tour he was playing a Schecter Jazz Bass because of "something happening" to the Manne basses.
    But on the Hughes/Iommi CD that was released Tuesday he lists the 'Soul Mover' on his equipment page...go figure.

I played one last week (unamplified mind you) and was not impressed. It wasn't terrible, but certainly not worth upwards of three grand IMHO. I own three Ricks, a Jazz & a T-bird. I have a an appreciation for unusual basses & even with my Glenn obsession - I can't warm up to that bass.
    And as unorthodox as the body on that bass is, you know what bothers me the most? It's the headstock. I can't explain it....

By the way the "Soul Mover" CD?!?! FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
    Glenn's best work in 20 years. :bassist: :hyper: :cool:

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i'll second that ...

i dig Bud's designs ...

{ sorry , didn't mean to derail this thread , forget i said anything ...}:bag:

12. Coco'

Coco'

Apr 24, 2001
    Milano, Italy
    I like the style, but, 3 grands? Forget it!
    k

13. On most of his pictures he is playing a Jazz bass...mmm :ninja:

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Manne basses are built nice, feel nice, but the sound isn't there for a $3000-$4000 bass. I don't dig the whole passive thing, plus the pickups aren't that great either. My buddies just received a deal through Manne and are now endorsers, but they've both decided to ditch the electronics that are offered and are opting to go with EMG instead. I believe Manne will begin to offer p-up and preamp options soon though. Bottom line though, the basses are nice, but the price is just too high for me.

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'll 3rd that!!! Can't imagine why... :p ;)