Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manner of Practicing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, May 31, 2001.


  1. Brendan

    Brendan

    Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey...I was sitting here, thumping away on my bass, sorta surfing the web (well, actually, more of playing bass with the internet on...), and it occured to me that I practice 95% of the time unplugged, just playing away; I really only plug in when I'm at band practice, or I want to find out how a riff sounds amplified. The other 5% of practice I do through my amp.

    So how do you guys mainly practice? Electrified through all your effects. Just amped? Unplugged?

    Just bored, and wondering practicing habits of others.
     
  2. FLEABITE

    FLEABITE

    Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I practice through headphones with my korg, usually allong to records or a metronome/drum beat. I blew my amp and I've been meaning to get it fixed.
    Practicing unplugged does have it's merits though. If your playing sounds clean unplugged, I suppose it will through an amp.
     
  3. Cornbread

    Cornbread

    Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I don't like to play unplugged because I tend to dig in more and tire out quicker.
     
  4. bumpcity

    bumpcity

    May 12, 2001
    NYC
    I bought an acoustic/electric, so that I could have more volume when I play without an amp! But I also think that too much of it may hurt your dynamics...read that as "I think it may have hurt MY dynamics", because like you, I practiced sans amp (no pun intended) at home pretty much exclusively for a few years. Same thing when you have a bass amp that is too weak... I found myself playing WAY too hard, and wearing myself out, my calouses, muscles in my fingers, arms, etc., because I was putting in too much effort in just trying to be heard. So now, when I practice with my band, I always turn up too loud at first, and then come back down, so that I can make the adjustment in the opposite direction. I would rather be a little too loud, than not be able to play well because my muscles are too tired or I have blisters underneath my calouses (OUCH!!!). Just my $0.02.
     
  5. 97% of the time, I practice with my amp. Not that it needs to be loud, but I am always looking for new tones, new sounds. Even just running scales, I am looking for new ways of sneaking in a harmonic or something to add to the tone.

    If I'm not plugged in, it is usually because I am just noodling around for a minute.
     
  6. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    If during the day - through an amp. Riffs that sound fine unamplified just don't work amplified. Amplifying lets me determine if overtones, crosstalk, and lack of speaker quickness just won't work in a club/room.

    At midnight-3am, it's the Korg Pandora PX3-B with headphones.
     
  7. Josh Ryan

    Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

    Mar 24, 2001
    I go through my PC with a set of headphones. I can record stuff quickly, or make drum parts etc if I get inspired.
     
  8. sn0wblind

    sn0wblind

    Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I practice with my amp on full volume , always!!!!!!!
     
  9. Erlendur Már

    Erlendur Már

    May 24, 2000
    Since my amp is broken I can´t use it, so I play unplugged.
     
  10. 50% headphones, through my Bass POD
    50% unplugged

    The only time I go fangs out is with my band....
    I don't even keep my amp home anymore, I just have a small practice amp home in case of emergency...
     
  11. Almost always with a set of BeyerDynamic DT770 phones thru an Ibanez Rock n Play for Bass. It lets me concentrate on dynamics and nuances, and sounds a lot better.
     
  12. Oysterman

    Oysterman

    Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I do not have any means of amplification in my apartment, so I don't have that much of a choice, do I? :oops:
     
  13. Always unamplified for similar reasons to Oysterman. I practice in the kitchen whilst the wife watches soaps and these drama things.

    In a funny kinda way that method suits me. I mainly work on finger exercises and the like, anyway.

    John
     
  14. I practice with a little practice amp almost always. But if im watching tv or something Ill pull my bass out unamplified and run through excercises that i almost do subconciousley now. with the amp I run through scales and excercises with a metronome to warm up, and then I just noodle around or play along with cd's.