Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manring and SR Technology?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Vunz, Oct 11, 2005.

1. A question for Michael Manring: on Sr Technology's website you are pictured with an SR technology Jam 150/A amplifier. Did you use, or are you still using, this amp for your gigs, and if so, did you, apart from the PA, use any additional amplification for your bass onstage? I am very interested in this amp, but the thought to run my electric upright through a single 8" speaker scares me off somewhat...

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers,

Vincent

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Vincent,

The folks at SR (an Italian company that specializes in compact PA gear) have been kind enough to provide me with systems on my recent trips to Italy and I think their stuff is fantastic. The little JAM 150 is an amazing amp with a pure, smooth high end and an unbelievable amount of lows for such a small rig. The overall sound seems to me slightly “scooped” in the mids, but interestingly, the midrange control seems to counterbalance this perfectly to allow you to get, what to my ears is a very clean, flat response. On several gigs in Italy where SWR has been unable to help me get a hold of one of their bass rigs for the evening (I’ve played in some pretty out of the way places!) I’ve run through just the SR stuff and was so impressed I got a JAM 150 to use around home for rehearsals and the occasional gig where I need a really tiny rig. The drawback is that it’s really not very powerful. They didn’t design it for bass, so you really can’t push it very far and it doesn‘t have the punchy coloration that we expect from bass amps. I don’t think it would work for music with a drummer for instance, but for low level monitoring it’s really great.

3. Thanks for your reply, Michael.

I was planning on using it for upright bass mainly, so perhaps for this application it might be a good choice. The mid coloration that bass gear often provides isn't desireable when amplifying the acoustic. The only thing that more or less worries me is the scooped midrange. Is it scooped compared to "normal" bass amps, or compared to a flat sound?

Thanks again,

Cheers, Vincent

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    The scooped sound of the JAM 150 is relative to flat response, Vincent, but it really seems to me that the midrange control compensates for this. With the midrange control at +6dB or so the response is to my ears flat and very pleasing. I think it’d be a good choice for upright as long as you’re really not looking for a lot of volume.