Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manring, Friesen and Lawson - gig report

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by MKS, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Last night I went along to see our very own Michael Manring and Steve Lawson perform with David Friesen in a bass extravaganza. WOW! To say that it was unbelievable would be a complete understatement. It was jaw-droppingly good. Truly inspirational... All three gentlemen (in the strictest sense of the word) redefined solo bass playing. This was no show-offery, but rather three very fine musicians playing great music. There were indeed moments when I thought "How in heaven's name does he do that?" but I never once thought "WHY in heaven's name does he do that?"

Folks, you owe it to yourselves to get off your backsides and get out to hear and support these musicians. It WILL change how you think about your instrument.

And hopefully I might have pictures to post from this gig fairly soon.

Michael, Steve: Thanks for a great evening.

2. Sorry it's such a bad picture, but you get the idea... You can almost see Steve's grin from here. :D

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    b u m p...

Agreed, I went to the, ahem, Reading SL, DF & MM gig. A really good contrast of three musicians and styles, and all solo bass :)

I think my favourite set was David Friesen. His music really did it for me., it was deep and engaging and it sounded mature & heartfelt.

Steve's set was great too. Really varied and obvioulsy totally focussed on what was right for his songs.

Michael Manring just blew my mind. Although admittedly I prefered his more melodic, less technical pieces. I didnt get names but the piece played on the hyperbass with almost countless tuning changes was beautiful.

Anyway, I shall definitley be buying a few CDs in the future :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was also very impressed with Michael Manring's playing at the Bass Centre and while I have heard (bought) Steve's CDS, I realised that I had never heard anything of Michael's before and would be interested in getting CDs where he has played similar pieces - i.e. fairly "clean" solo bass - well I really liked the piece where Michael played 3 basses! ;)

Anybody know what CDs are available in the UK and which have material that was played last night or is in a similar vein?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    As this thread is getting hijacked by those of use who went to the basscentre last night...

I'm not a fan in the sense that I've seen them live before or having any of the albums (or even heard them). It was however an excellent seminar. To see two amazing musicians make erm music and explain what they were doing was insightful.

My fave was the improvised ebow extravaganza. If you shut your eyes it didnt sound like two basses nor did it matter and I think that is the point.

6. Bruce Lindfield

I know the bit you mean - there were some amazing sounds and the way they came together towards the end of the piece was simply transcendental! ;) I think the parts where Steve and Michael played together were most interesting, but I just feel I've missed out on Michael's work over the years - there haven't been many CDs available over here....?

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I think I read somewhere that the album Thonk is unavailable. There does seem to be a new album out in the States. Try http://www.manthing.com (you probably have already).

I'm going stateside Spring 03 let me know nearer the time and I'll pick up some CD's for you (if its available in shops).

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Michael will have to correct me when he gets time to sit at a computer again, but from talking to him I got the impression that his albums are in pretty short supply at the moment, even Stateside. He did bring some copies over with him but had already sold them - shame, as I was planning to snag some for my collection.

I did have Book of Flame on order from Amazon, but it spent about six months promising 'available in 3-5 weeks' and then I got a message saying they couldn't get it. Grrrr...

Hey, Michael, how about adding a couple of further tracks to the Manthing stash on your website and telling your record company to make sure they get some disks over here.

Wulf

9. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - I tried Amazon as well - maybe there are other importers/exporters?

10. I must have got the last copy of "Book of Flame" imported into the country by Amazon... (Must remember not to be smug)

Availability of his CD's was an issue I discussed with Michael at the Ocean gig. A colleague of mine is having similar trouble finding "Book of Flame" through (hardly) Amazin'.com. "Thonk" is pretty much unavailable unless you find one in a second hand shop. Hopefully this situation will be remedied fairly soon. Apparently Michael's record company are in negotiations to re-release Thonk. Which is nice... :) Maybe Michael should talk to Pillowmountain Records? ;)

Anyway, from my recollection at the Ocean gig Michael played: La Sagrada Familia (BoF), Beatles Medley, Bach Cello Suite, Selene, Helios and maybe something else (memory....) You can find recordings of the latter four tracks under www.wnyc.org here http://www.wnyc.org/legacy/shows/newsounds/nsmarch2002.html.

:::Manring plug OFF

I'll plug David Friesen's new CD in a different post when I check the details. It's also REALLY worth having.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well I couln't find those links - but anyway, I have no sound reproduction facilities on my laptop. :(

I have never listened to an MP3!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks - I just ordered a copy, let's hope they are better than Amazon - I noticed they are talking about Dutch Imports?

13. dunno, I seem to remember the last CD I got from them came from Hong Kong but I could be getting confused (it happens often)

I've used them loads of times they're usually pretty good, I've waited for ages for some CD's but they always seem to show up in the end, its usually a pleasant surprise cos I'd forgotten I'd ordered it check out their £5.99 list

14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Michael's solo CDs are notoriously hard to come by - the record company presses some up, they sell in about a week, and then they take another three years to press any more...!! The two Attention Deficit CDs are available, and are both well worth checking out, as is the CD by an ambient/avant garde collaboration that Michael did a few years back with a group called 'Cloud Chamber' - if the weird improv stuff we did was your bag, then maybe that's the one the check out. you can get that at www.cdbaby.com

I'm really glad you all enjoyed the clinic and the gigs - we had a great time, and I really hope we get to do it again soon - watch this space...

It's been great fun meeting so many people - old friends and new aquaintances - on the current tour and at Music Live and the clinics.

..but, Bruce, you didn't come and say hi - did you have to leave early???? :(

take care

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I had to get back to Brighton - I made my train with one and a half minutes to spare! ;)

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...and I didnt say hello because I felt ashamed and embarrassed after being occused of stalking, Steve... darling ;)

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I said "Hello", followed by "Goodbye" and made the train with 5 secs to spare.

18. and me and howard just about figured out which platform we needed for the hammersmith & city from whitechapel, so we had no time :)

*Si*

19. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, I've seen quite enough of Howard and Chris, thanks very much... :D

it would have been nice to say hi to Bruce and Si, but next time...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk