Manring Hyperbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zonplayer, Jan 5, 2001.

1. I am considering purchasing one. I realize construction and attention to detail is superb, however I am hesitant about purchasing it sight unseen, especially at that price. Anyone out there own one or had the opportunity to play one?
  2. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    I had the privelige to play one at Bass Northwest. It was a truly mystical experience. It was easily the most amazing fretless I've ever played. Blows the doors off of any Buzz :D. Then again, that just my personal opinion, which doesn't really mean anything to anyone but me :)!
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Are you buying new? Hyperbasses pop up occassionally and seem to take a while to sell at around $2K.
  4. All I can say about the Hyperbass is that seeing Manring use it live (while sitting about 7 feet away from him) was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Tone was out of this world, and his rig was only an SWR Workingman's 12 and an EV 15" extension cab. The bass sounded extremely clear and well defined but was still warm sounding and definitely not harsh.

The whole concept of changing the tunings multiple times on the fly (sometimes in the middle of some absolutely mindbending stuff) is really cool.
  5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm sure these are really nice basses but I'm also sure this manring guy could get a warm, not harsh sound out of a gut bucket. I wouldn't judge the sound anyone else may get outta one o' these things by the sound he gets. IMO youse gotta be nuts to spend that kinda dough on an instrument ya haven't played.
  6. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    I agree with you there, BUT, take it from me, the bass sounds that good. It is definitely dripping w/ tone!
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Expensive as he**, but I like `em too :p .
    I ain't lookin' to be the next Michael :rolleyes:.
    I DO like the clear access to the upper register, though.

The only one I've ever seen (online anyways) is at some place in the
    Netherlands ~ "Paul's Bass Matters".
    It's got ALL the detuners: 4 hipshots, plus that wacky bridge.
    It lists for 13,000 fl (florens?).

If you can do without all the de-tuners, there's this Jack Read version. Jack's in Boston, Mass.
    The base price is around $2K ( ¼ the cost of the signature Zon's MSRP ).
    The one in the pics is (I think) over $3K ~ two-tone board, spalted top, etc.

[Edited by notduane on 01-06-2001 at 08:02 PM]
  8. I would be purchasing it without the detunable bridge. I agree that it is crazy to purchase a bass like that without playing it but, there isn't anyplace to play them first.
    The Read i9s nice but I like the graphite neck.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a Hyperbass in exc. condition up on ebay right now.
  10. Wow cheap too! and it's in great condition.