Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manring- NEW !! Attention Deficit May 22

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zonplayer, May 24, 2001.

1. I ordered mine and it should be here soon. Anyone already have it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oops, didn't even know about it, gonna check the store tomorrow

3. I got it this weekend. I like it. However its not as crazy as the first one, and is more "song" orientated. It is definately worth checking out. C'mon its Michael Manring!!
    Lemme know what you guys think.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've gotta get me a copy of that! The first one is fantastic... as is everything I've heard with Michael on, from Hedges to Gorka, Cloud Chamber to Sadhappy...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. Me too. He has been such a huge influence on me. l'll have to get some of the Sadhappy stuff too.

6. man, I must get that someday!! :)

but, I only have one manring cd... Thonk... it´s great!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Listening to The Idiot King right now. I give it two thumbs up. Manring is amazing as always, the others (Skolnick?, I'm to lazy to go find the case) are also very impressive. Songs do not suffer on account of too much flash either.

8. I agree, decent songs supported by solid chops. BTW the drummer is Herb the old drummer from Primus.
    If you dig Thonk, you will like the Attention D. stuff.

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    With or without Michael, SadHappy are one of the most exciting bands i've heard. I would have loved to have got to see them live. All the CDs are great, not just the last one which featured Mike (called Good Day Bad Dream).

I think their CDs are only available via mail order, but they are well worth taking the trouble to find. Paul Hinklin, the singer/frontman/other bassist in the band is amazing - seemingly a fairly tortured guy, but an amazing musician, full of energy and creativity. and a seriously smoking bassist! the older albums with them as a sax/bass/drums trio are really cool.

As for Michael's stuff - check out CloudChamber as well - VERY ambient experimental project with some other fine outsters in the Bay Area.

see www.innerviews.org for more stuff about all these artists and more (it's a really good interview site - one of the best on the net, methinks)

watch this space for some very exciting Manring related news very soon...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    On the theme of Michael Manring side projects, here's news of an upcoming one, including me! :oops:)

Manring/Walker/Lawson trio live in Santa Cruz and Big Sur, California!

a new trio featuring bassists Michael Manring and Steve Lawson with master percussionist Rick Walker will be playing a series
    of shows in Northern California at the beginning of July.

The first two to be announced are -

7th July 2001 8pm

Second Annual Big Sur Looping Festival, featuring Manring/Walker/Lawson trio, solo sets by each member of the trio, with Max
    Valentino supporting.

At the Henry Miller Library, Big Sur, California . Please email Rick Walker on GLOBAL@cruzio.com for more information on
    ticket price and directions etc.

and -

9th July 2001 8pm Rick Walker and the Rio Theater Present -

The 2nd Santa Cruz Bass Looping Festival - featuring Manring/Walker/Lawson trio, and solo sets by each member of the trio,
    with Max Valentino in support.

Rio Theatre 1205 Soquel Ave Santa Cruz, CA 95062 tel - (831)423-2000
    about 5 minutes east of downtown Santa Cruz at the corner of Seabright and Soquel (which is the main east-west thorough fare
    in town). Free Entry!

more dates will be announced very soon.

I'll also be playing a series of dates in the LA area at the end of June - more details ASAP...

Oh and I'll be doing a days teaching in Santa Cruz - please e-mail Rick Walker on GLOBAL@cruzio.com if you're interested and
    want more details.

cheers

Steve
    web-site - www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. Very cool Steve!!!! Sounds like a blast!!!
    Is it going to be videotaped or recorded? I would love to see it. Unfortunatley I live too far from there.

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  13. Is it going to be improv? Or prewritten compositions?

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Probably some fairly heavy improv, but there may well be some versions of stuff that the three of us have done separately. And as we're doing a few dates, I'm sure that somethings will get carried over from night to night...

It's gonna be fun! :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. Wow!! Very cool, maybe it will turn into a larger tour and make its way to Milwaukee ;-).

I would love to hear you guys do a version of 'The Book of Lies' from Manring's 'Book of Flame' CD. That tune is sooo intense and always brings a smile to my face :)