Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manring or Jaco?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by VoodooChile, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Jaco Pastorious

52 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. Michael Manring

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in all of your oh so humble opinions, which, out of he two mentioned above have pushed the limits and revolutionized our instrument more. I know that some of you are probalythinking that manring wouldn't be what he is today if jaco hadn't done it first but who do you think as pushed the boundaries further?

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    This is not a fair comparison in my honest opinion. You are absolutely correct to say that without Jaco paving the way, Manring would probably not be doing what he is doing with the bass. Jaco was a true pioneer who was one of the first few people who saw the bass as a solo instrument in its own right. "Portrait of Tracy" is a fine example of Jaco pushing the limits of the bass. Manring has built upon Jaco's foundations, but if Jaco was alive today, who knows what music he would be creating? The fact is, Jaco and Manring are from different eras in the history of bass, so comparing them is difficult, and boils down to a matter of taste and opinion. For what it's worth, I voted Jaco. :)

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i am more influenced by Manring than Jaco... sorry, but that´s the truth In my case....

Jaco is groovier, but Manring is very technical.... i agree that this is not a fair comparison...

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    BTW: it´s been like a month since i can´t vote on polls... i get this error message:

TB Admin Message
    The action you have attempted could not be performed as your session appears to be invalid. Click the below link to attempt this action again with a new session.
    Try this action again!

Anyone with this problem?

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Let me see now....

Apples, or oranges......apples, or oranges....

which one do I like best???;)

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I can tell you that I prefer to listen to Manring more than Jaco. Manring's compostions have a little more life in them and keep your interest for a few minutes at least. Jaco's tunes reneder me comatose in no time at all, lifeless and boring, IMO.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I feel exactly the opposite.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I feel exactly the opposite. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not a problem. Thak you for responding with civility.

9. Same here Portrait...i feel Manring's playing lacking soul (when compard to jaco's)

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah I too agree with relman and PoT, Jaco's stuff seems so much soulier (is that a word?)

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    No problem, i'm starting to get tired of being verbally attacked.

12. I do agree that Manring would not be where he is at without Jaco. Despite the fact that Manring took lessons in NYC from Jaco, and they have two totally different styles.
    None the less, as far as bass is concerned, I feel that Manrings compositions are superior to Jacos. I also feel that Michael has discovered a whole world of composition and bass techniques that Jaco had not.

13. As far as pushing the boundaries, I'd have to say Manring, just for the hyperbass. Even if nobody else uses it. Jaco will always have a bigger place in the consciousness of the electric bass than anybody else.

It is certainly possible to compare any two things you wish to compare. To say it is impossible is just laziness. What's better, aardvarks or yellow? This question has non-idiotic answers. Now when you're comparing two bassists, it gets a lot easier. Just because one precedes the other doesn't end the discussion. Who's the better pitcher, Walter Johnson (1910s) or Randy Johnson(now)? This question can be answered in amazing detail and rigor. Typically by relativism. You compare how much better Walter was than his peers vs. how much better Randy is than his peers.

14. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    True. I agree with what you say.

It gets a bit difficult with bass, because it is a bit like physics. Musicians learn and built upon what their predecessors have done. For example, it would be difficult to compare and ask the question "Which is the bigger genius, Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking?" - without Albert Einstein's groundbreaking theories, Stephen Hawking may not have come up with his own theories.

Note: I am no physics expert. I was just using that as an example.

Sure, Manring's compositions are remarkable, but if he was born during Jaco's time 20 years ago, would he have been as brave if not for the bass pioneers before him? If Jaco was still alive now, would Jaco not be composing even more complex songs for bass? Who knows? But you are right - we can make educated guesses and compare even the uncomparable.

15. not knowing jaco personally it is hard to say that if he had lived until toay that he would have pushed the boundary any further, just as an example eric clapton, i know it's just slightly diffent but just compare clapton with cream to his most recent release of reptile, they are two completely different style but are played by the same person, and to say the least was much more revolutionary when he was younger than today. to sum up what i was trying to express was that whether not jaco would try as hard to revolutionized the way we play bass as much in his older years. i hope that made atleast some sence.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I think if jaco would have stayed healthy (stayed away from cocaine and vodka) he would have gone even farther. IMO, he was pretty much at a high point until the 80's when he started drinking, snorting, etc. Everyone never have seen jaco's potential. He died young. The way i see it, he died way before he physically died. In a way, i'm glad jaco died when he did.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I know if I took drugs I'd want to be beaten to death!

People do get over addictions, you know.

18. It seems as though this poll has gotten off track a little. I must say I think that only people who have heard significant examples of BOTH artists compositions should be voting on this.

19. i do agree with zon player that only those who have heard loads of examples from each of the artists but i do not know of a way to prevent the people who do not have the knowledge from voting

20. A little difficult but lets compare actual compositions. 1) Jacos' Continuum to Manrings The Enormous Room.
    2) Three Views to Adamski Files
    3) Teen Town to No Wontons for Elvis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.