Manring Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Gsus, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Gsus

Jun 24, 2005
    Michael would probably be the foremost authority on this, but feel free to reply if you have any information.

Just recieved the Bass Day '98 video and was absolutely floored. Never have I seen a more tasteful display of chops and musicality than Michael's performance of "Teen Town", "Sugar", and "My Three Moons." I can only imagine what the rest of his discography (I'm just starting, with the Book of Flame) has in store for me.

Anyway, the obligatory praise of Mr. Manring was written because I was blown away by his performance of "Sugar." Does Michael have a transcription of this? I'm assuming not, but thought it was worth asking anyway. Does he have anything transcribed that's in print? Although it'll take a significantly longer time to do, I guess I'll have to transcribe it myself from the Bass Day video/Turrentine's original version.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Hey Gsus, I've been looking (waiting) also for Sugar. I asked Michael back in late December.
  3. Gsus

Jun 24, 2005
    I think I'm going to go ahead and try to learn it by watching the man himself, but any information about other songs' transcriptions are welcome.

In the event that I do learn this song, any ideas for a transcription? Tab? Standard notation? Both? I'd love to help people out with a transcription if I could (although it'll be a while :meh: )

Thanks again
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is a transcription book for his album 'Thonk', but I don't know how much good it'll do you given all the unconventional basses and such he utilizes. Well, not to discourage you, but some of those charts would be pretty much impossible to accomplish on a regular e-a-d-g bass, though, with some adaptation and creativity I'm sure you could figure out something neat to do. *shrug*

I'm not sure where one might get a hold of that book though, I found it at some random music store outside of oakland, I probably should have snatched it up now that I think of it, since it is pretty rare from what I understand.
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I haven't really had time to learn it from the Bass '98 video, but I just found it in one of the real books I have. It should give me at least a headstart. I guess I'll just hunker down with the sheet and video now.
  6. Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    My, rather humble advice, would be to start by figuring out the tuning Michael is using. (checked his tunings page on for you, no joy). This should make things easier later on.
  7. Gsus

Jun 24, 2005
    To Burg and Wrong Robot

Thanks for the heads up, although I realized he utilizes alternate tunings fairly often before I decided to transpose the piece. Lucky for me, this is one of the few songs he plays in standard tuning, so the only problem is my bass not having the 24 frets required for some of the chords.

As far as the transcription, in two sittings I've gotten up to the swing bassline in the middle, and probably have another two or three sittings to go. Might have a finished copy, if nothing but a handwritten tab, by next week.

Thanks for the replies.
  8. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for your interest in this and your very kind words, Gsus. I have had several requests for a transcription of my version of “Sugar,” but I’m sorry to say I’ve never gotten around to doing it. Actually, I’m a bit disinclined because it’s mostly improvisation and I never thought of the Bass Day version as particularly definitive. I like doing jazz standards in this style and I guess I’m always thinking about what I’m going to do the next time I play them! I’ll bet you can come up with something pretty cool of your own just by working with the Real Book version.
  9. Gsus

Jun 24, 2005

Thanks for the reply. Knowing your style, I should have figured at least some of it was improv. However, I ended up transcribing it a few weeks ago, and plan to learn the piece. When a piece like this grabs you the second it hits your ears, and leaves you in a different place than where you started, it's truly something special. I suppose most of that feeling comes from the loose, improvisational feel of the piece, but as is with most of your work (I now have most of your work), the musicianship clearly shines through, composed or improvised.

Thanks again,

P.S. While it may sound like I'm sucking up, Mr. Manring has to a large extent altered my direction as a musician (however much is possible for a student/hobbyist) and my comments are not strictly infatuation.

P.P.S. Is eBay the only place to pick up the Thonk transcription book? I was too young (maybe 4?) to pick it up when it came out, but would like to check it out regardless of the tunes' playability on my own (non-hyper) basses.
  10. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I think Michael has had an effect on the direction of playing bass in general, and maybe even music itself.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As has been mentioned around here before - 'Sugar' was written by Stanley Turrentine (one of the Jazz greats) and has become a Jazz "Standard", improvised on a a lot by Jazz musicians.

I've played it in jams several times and it is included in the syllabus of the "Associated Board's" (UK educational body) Jazz course - so here's the chord sequence to improvise over :

Cmin7 A7#11/ Dø G7+/Cmin7/Dø G7+/
    Cmin7/A7#11/Dø /G7b9
    Cmin7/C7sus C7+/Fmin7/Eb7/

Twice through 16 bars - i.e. a 32-bar form
  12. Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Love the Messiaen sig quote, Bruce. As European and American serialists and indeterminancy-tinkerers bickered, Messiaen was a pure, transcendental voice of calm reason. "Quartet for the End of Time" is a personal favorite (try following all the crazy time signatures on that one! I almost think he wrote it to hypnotize and distorient the German Gulag guards so that his camp could escape!). Sure, he was a little nuts about bird watching, but his music is wonderful.
  13. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

TablEdit would be a great vehical for this. The program will allow you to designate tunnings for the different strings. As you add tab, it will automatically put the notes in std notation. Then it will play the whole thing back. One can adjust the tempo to practice at a slower speed.

It is a great program!