Manring VS. Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Zonplayer, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Hey, I sit at work all day. And cant play my bass so I think of silly and pointless things to post on TB like this.
    I love both and have been a fan of both for years. However I lean in favor of Manring, beacuse IMO he has superior compositional skills.
    Anyway, who do you like more and why :)
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I lean in favor of Wooten. Admittedly, Manring has flawless fretless intonation, cleaner technique and greater compositional skill than Wooten. Wooten's playing, however, has an energy (in addition to all that technique) that I haven't heard from anyone before. In general, I'd say that Manring is a Berklee-bred perfectionist, whereas Wooten is a homespun idiot savant.
  3. Interesting perspective. Wooten has a very unique energy about his spirit which reflects on his playing. I love Vic too.
  4. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    I've never heard Manring's playing before. Does he have solo albums that are easy to find? If not, where could I hear his playing?
  5. You can buy his music at*MICHAEL/itemid=623074 the only one of his solo CDs that is readily available is called the Book of Flame. He also has some great videos available.
    You can learn more about him at his site http://www.MANTHING.COM
    however it has been down for sometime now and I am not sure when it will be up. He plays Zon basses one of which is the Hyperbass and uses SWR http://www.SWRSOUND.COM amplification. Both of these sites have articles on him. Also, if you are interested in solo bass go to

[Edited by Zonplayer on 12-29-2000 at 09:19 AM]
  6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Manring is by far the superior musician. I have seen him play live (Check his touring schedule at He sometimes tours to Chicago)and he's mind boggling. He'll detune his bass while he's playing, not to mention that he also plays three basses at a time and makes it all sound like music. I find him a great source of inspiration. For straight ahead bass work, check out the recordings by the group Montreux on Winham Hill.

Vic's influence on me is not as deep. My whole slapping technique in recent years probably wouldn't have happenned if I hadn't heard BFF's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo and that's actually a lot, but nothing compared to Manring's substance.

Will C.:cool:
  8. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    My guess is if you put them both on stage at once, you would find them complementing rather than competing.

9. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Who's the winner of Manring Vs Wooten? We ALL are. *hands out flowers and other -feel good- thingies*
  10. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I favor Wooten because he has more style and funk.
  11. Manring can funk it up real good, too. Check out "Funk & Disorderly" or "Monkey Businessman."
    Wooten and Manring are both innovators, which you can't say about too many people in the 50-year history of the electric bass. I think Manring has a deeper understanding of the bass than anyone. When you see him do the things he does, being able to play anything in any tuning, and re-tune a couple dozen times in the course of one song.. well, really, the debate ends there, I think. When I saw him on video performing "The Enormous Room", it was like some kind of transcendental experience. I think his solo stuff has more depth and emotion than Wooten's.
    But they are both incredible, and I agree with Rockinjc that if you put them on stage together, they would make some amazing music together.
  12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    it happened at NAMM last year - not sure what it sounded like, but they did have a jam in the SWR booth.

Discussions about who's best are highly subjective, and are only, as far as I can see, valuable in the context of what other things a person listens to - if someone is totally obsessed with slapping and speed, then some of Wootens more outrageous playing is going to wow them regardless of emotional context. Same goes for Michael and anyone into fretless or squealing distorted lead. Both assessments would sell short the musical contributions of either player and only serve to ghetto-ise further the whole idea of solo bass as being nothing more than a pyrotechnic display.

Both players have great 'showman' ability, a fantastic command of their instruments, their own sound and write interesting music. If one or the other connects on a deeper level with you or I, then that's the beauty of art and means that no-one's write or wrong.

As far as making decisions about what to buy, you can't really go wrong with either artist - my favourite albums featuring those players would be Manring's 'Thonk' and 'Book Of Flame' (though I've yet to hear anything with Michael on that I don't like, from Patti Larkin albums to Cloud Chamber), and Wooten's 'Yin Yang', the second CD of which is great, especially the title track - i stuck that one on repeat for about an hour when I got the album! :oops:)

Happy New Year, all you talkbassers - have a bassfilled and peaceful 2001

13. The reason for starting this thread was not to say who is a better musician, but to find out who prefers who and why. Dave Siff, I totally agree with you about the Enormous Room.
    Seeing it on the Artists Profile, really was an epiphany for me. Totally inspirational, and so much emotion.

14. I ordered that video from a month ago, and I'm still waiting for it! I had borrowed it from a friend, and returned it to him for fear that I would wear it out from watching it so much! Truly incredible.