Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manring's La Familia Sagrada tone

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by JimS, Jun 17, 2003.

1. And after picking up Michael Manring's Book of Flame (first time I ever listened to him) and digging the music and especially fretless tone of La Familia Sagrada I've got a bit of a fever for a fretless bass, probably 5 string.

Michael,
    On the website it says you used a custom Zon Hyperbass ("Jr") on that song. Can you elaborate on that bass?

In particular, the bass has sitar-like tonality. Is that technque or was there an effect sucha a subtle flanger, etc?

Thanks for your time.:cool: :bassist:

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think Michael will be away for a couple of days, so I'll answer part of the question - the singing tone on LaSagrada comes from the fact that he's playing with a Capo on, if I remember correctly, so the nature of the contact between the string and the neck will change a bit. The odd tuning probably has something to do with it as well...

...it's a really great tune, a favourite of mine too.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words about "La Sagrada¬Ö" guys. I played it on my main fretless, a Zon custom Sonus/Hyperbass hybrid. I used the same bass for many other pieces on The Book of Flame including "The Book of Living and Dying." The primary tuning is F#GBbG, but I used a capo at the seventh "fret" (it's a fretless), so that makes it C#DFD. For the beginning of the tune I used the rear pickup phase switch to put the two coils out of phase; if you listen carefully you can hear me switch it back to the normal position about a minute into the piece.

4. Thank you, Michael.

Your CD is one of those pieces that just melts the doors of the mind the music pervades your soul. It truly is a treat of existence to be able to experience your music.

You define the phrase "a gentleman and a scholar." :)

5. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
  6. Michael (or anyone else)
    I, too, have long been a fan of the tone on La Sagrada Familia. I notice that Victor Wooten gets a similar tone on Tali Lama. Is the tone strictly because of the capo? I have a great Pedulla Buzz that gets a very good mwah, but I just can't coax that tone out of it. I guess I can try a capo, but I wanted to check to make sure there wasn't something else I was missing.

7. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi crhoton,

I don't think the capo has has a very dramatic effect on the tone -- it's really not much different from holding notes down with the fingers. I'm sorry to say I'm not sure what the problem might be for you -- The Pedulla Buzz is a great bass! If you aren't already, try using roundwound strings and mostly the bridge pickup.