Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Manson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Feb 22, 2002.

1. If you are a zeppelin fan, you've probably seen/heard/heard of Jonesy's Manson Tripleneck 6 string/12 string/mandolin....Manson is now making some amazing looking basses in the UK (JPJ uses them too) and i was wondering if anyone knew the price range of some of these beasts...

http://www.mansons.co.uk/manson_guitars/hand-made-basses.html

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My uncle brought one back on a business trip a few years back - it's a gorgeous fretless four with a spalted top. I'll ask him what it cost then...

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you order one, you'll have to get a triple neck 8, 10, and 12 string just to one-up Jonesy! :D I contacted Hugh about a year ago, before he and Andy had web sites, but I never heard anything back. I sent a fax, but who knows if he ever received it. They're great guys who make great instruments, but I'm not sure that a Manson instrument would be the greatest "value", nor do I think that we're talking about prices that are withing the reach of even the wealthiest of bass players. However, I anticipate that John Paul will be back in the states for another tour shortly, so if you catch a show....which you SOULD...you can talk to Hugh himself. He always travels with JPJ and is very approachable.
    By the way, I know I didn't offer any real "concrete" information regarding your question, but I HAVE to post a reply to all John Paul Jones threads. If I don't, I will loose my TB name and will have to go by Charlie Jones...and that would be a travesty! :eek:

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    At the time (about five years ago), it was about US$1400...

5. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Found this old thread with a search - which I did because I bought a 20 year old Manson fretless today. It's beautiful - if I can find my camera I'll post some pix.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Please do!

7. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Found the camera - will get some up in the next few days.

I am so delighted with this bass. Played it in rehearsal for the first time today. It's awesome, absolutely phenomenal. Through neck, twin humbuckers with coil taps, deep, deep sound but also with lots of top. Significantly, profoundly, humungously better than my Rick, (which ddn't make it out of the case today).

I've e-mailed Hugh Manson to find out more about it - don't understand all the push pull controls.

Here's a link to Manson's site -

http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/entry_page.htm